Computer parts/devices

If anker were to make a part for a computer what would everyone want mine would be an anker ssd drive

1 Like

How would they differentiate?

1 Like

Not really a computer part but an Anker UPS makes the most sense to me.

2 Likes

UPS seems a likely candidate. As for internal parts, the market is already saturated with various companies already, would we really need one more?

2 Likes

Anker already make PCI cards for additional USB ports for your PC.
I don’t see them making HDD/SSD or any other components though. There are already enough companies that make them.
A UPS certainly would be interesting and viable. Especially if it is more aimed at the home market.

Well. Like others have already stated. a UPS makes the most sense. Batteries are what Anker does best!

I second this!

1 Like

Beyond USB-related cards and hubs, I don’t know that there is much else that fits into Anker’s portfolio of products. Besides that as others have said the components market is pretty saturated. There probably isn’t enough margin there to make it worthwhile, particular for a new entrant who has to invest in fixed startup costs.

The UPS idea might work out, Anker does certainly make some great battery-based solutions.

If Anker were to make a UPS I’d be looking for decent level of user self maintenance and spare parts support.

The bigger the battery, the bigger its cost and the more parts which can fail.

So I’d be looking for a modular architecture UPS with customer replaceable parts.

Say you had a “shell” box with shared ports, electronics, display, then a “blade” concept of slide-in battery banks, with a mail-in replacement program where the blades could themselves be torn down and repaired and passed back in warranty or refurbished options. If the blade was say 4 to 8 18650B batteries in a toughened package, not unlike say a Powercore 13000 in nature.

Now one way to do this is allow the blades to any USB battery meeting a certain minimum requirement, say must produce 2A output, and then you’d a minimum number of blades. You can then buy the one “shell” and make a large UPS from commodity USB batteries.

I simply won’t buy a $400 device with just a 18 month warranty, given it likely will begin to have failures after 18 months.

What I’m doing now is moving my devices more to the USB standard and having lots of USB batteries and solar, the discrete units are costing in region of $20-$30 and I expect them to age and be replaced but at only $20-$30 a pop.