Comparing charger features

I am trying to select a portable charger for my iPhone and iPad. There are so many products available on the web site that is is difficult to compare the product’s features. It would be helpful if there was a page the had a matrix showing each charger’s features side-by-side. Maybe there is one but I haven’t been able to find it.

1 Like

I’d be glad to help you find the right charger! Do you know about what size you would like?

This is a suggestion that has been made by a few community members. In regards to the charger;

• how many charges are you wanting to get of your devices before having to re-charge the PowerCore battery
  • what model of iPhone and iPad do you have
  • is size / weight of the charger a main consideration i.e if to be used for camping, on the move, to keep in a backpack etc?
2 Likes

I had the same issue, I was stuck between the 10500 powercore+ the 13000powercore+ and the powercore 20100. I ended up just purchasing the 20100. Although it’s not compact as the other two i figure I needed the more juice to get the most charges when I’m away from an outlet. Best for not worrying about finding a outlet for atleast a day or 2 if you have an iPad or iPhone. I have both and iPads will take a lot out of your pack compared to your phone so if you want to optimize your charges the 20100 is a great choice and also its not super big but still bigger then the other 2 I mentioned. Although recharge time take about 8-10hrs it he 20100 powercore charges my phone pretty fast. I would recommend getting an anker dura II lightning cable as I did with the suggestion of @joshuad11. Works well together.

1 Like

I think a matrix, just by itself, will just cause confusion in less effort. It certainly visually shrinks the options but it is still a confusing long list and still needs a geeky level of knowledge. I think we should remove the geeky aspect.

Here is my matrix

This matrix I produced is focused on what matters to me, which is energy density and speed.

I think what most will need is not a matrix but they begin with a few questions of what matters to them and then it runs a stacking filter and narrows down to one or a couple of likely products.

These questions should be:

• select from common devices (iphones, Samsung, etc) and if your phone now shown then enter the mAh (you can find off the 'net fairly easily) and if its QC etc.
  • how many recharges you want.
  • possibly if you care about say speed or cost
  • it then shows a screen with the selectoins you made at the top of the screen which you can change/remove to widen/change your selections.

The filters in some cases should be additive so you add a phone and a tablet or a phone and say BT headphones.

Then really, the 80/20 rule will kick, popular phones and they just know what they want to accomplish, would serve most folks. Geeks can just not narrow the search done by Anker and peruse all products and make their own calculations.

Doing this for portable chargers, and chargers, would then work in the additive, so e.g. when you’re saying 5 devices to charge it drives to more sockets portable chargers and more sockets chargers.

3 Likes

Solid ideas @nigelhealy :thumbsup:

Most mobile contract companies use a similar selection criteria to give suggestions, with little to no complaint feedback, so no reason why a similar formula coudn’t be adopted by Anker, especially with the surge in similar named / numbered items…

1 Like

I also think Anker needs fewer products. I’m a geek and even I sometimes get confused and make errors.

Anker themselves also make errors, about the same ratio I make errors.

Given what we see of products sell out fast, I’m thinking Anker has a shallow supply chain, so that means they can simply discontinue products quickly.

The example of a product site to illustrate would be APC where you don’t need to know kWH, VAh, etc as you can just enter your devices.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with being a geek or even getting confused, I can be accused of both several times on the average day by students (well kids know everything right??) :grinning:

I just keep it simple when shopping Anker’s offerings, the general rule of thumb I use for PowerCore’s (which isn’t hard as Apple are behind the times on charging aspects) is to find the mAh of the devices I am wanting to charge (some aren’t Apple), decide on the average times I might need to re-charge while away from a socket, multiple by the number and look for the Anker PowerCore’s which fall within the resulting mAh and has the best price.

Might be over simplifying it but QC is not a major factor for me, as long as it matches the juice I’m after I’m content :raised_hands:

1 Like

Have you guys also noticed that Anker is introducing more Power products vs Power+ products?

QC = heavier, larger and higher cost, so you’d not want QC when you don’t have a QC device.
Hence if the device and your expressed preferences are what you are asked, then it narrows it down.

What I mean by a common dumb product overlap is the QC vs Speed, they are nearly identical and both sold now. I think from memory the different is QC doesnt have VoltageBoost. You then have the 26800 with 1 input vs the 2 input, they should retire the 1 input version.

1 Like

I hear ya :sunglasses:, unfortunatley it is what it is at present until Anker decide how to move forward with the plethora of suggestions getting fired their way…

Lots of good answers here. I always have the same questions. For me, I figured out what the best charging features each of my devices have and figured out how I planned to use the charger. You know charging multiple devices while sitting on the couch or plane/car/car ride. or if you only want to charge your phone while on the go.

For me, I found anything less than 5000mAh isn’t worth the price or hassle. If you have a large capacity battery or you need to use your phone/tablet while charging you may not get a full charge.

I use a 5000mAh charger for almost everything for day-to-day activities. I generally get several complete charges from 20% on it and it keeps my device charged while streaming a movie.

I also have 15600mAh dual port 3.0 charger I use for charging my tablets and cellphones. Due to its size and weight I only use it sitting on the couch and want to charge my tablet and cellphone at the same time (while using them). I also pack it up in my day pack for traveling and hiking (long hikes using GPS and need multiple charges through the day).

Just keep in mind in general larger the battery charge size the larger and heavier the charger will be. The chargers that are 15600mAh and more I find get annoying when trying to carry as an everyday charger. I think they make the best overnight travel gear or off-grid charging over the small ones. You can get a couple of the 5000mAh and still be lighter and smaller than the big capacity ones and it might even be cheaper if you catch them while on sale.

1 Like

agree an EDC of around 5000mah for a phone. My EDC is often the Anker Powercore Slim 5000.

For carrying for a tablet I usually carry the 5000 plus the Powercore 10000, so collectively 15000, and they can recharge in parallel to charge faster than one 15000.

I am considering making an Anker portable charger buying guide… I have already made ones for car chargers and wall/desktop ones!

Feel free to check them out!

Good to try. I think you’ll hit the limit of knowledge. Anker should really do an Anker guide as they have access to all products and know more than you can infer from a website. Anker’s websites are errorneous and Anker vs Amazon disagree often. I nit them as I find them.

Suggestion: Anker ship you one of ALL of their products then you can make a more robust guide. :sunglasses:

1 Like

OOOHHH YES!!! @AnkerOfficial

Sorry I didn’t include your suggestion about the weight and stuff… I thought that would be too much. I wanted to keep it simple.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :confounded:oh your serious… :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:wink:

no apology expected nor needed, its complicated and only if you look through one particular slice of focus does it become simpler.

We have different focus, hence complicated!

If we were to do the topic justice then it would be guides for different contexts.

2 Likes

yeah keep shipping til a pile of blue and white boxes show up on satellite images in Kansas.

1 Like