Compact jump starter

I purchased 3 of these chargers several years ago…the only time since then that i’ve had a need to use it was this past weekend on my son’s 2007 Prius hybrid. The chargers were fully charged…when connecting to the +/- terminals of the battery in the trunk, I see the car come on, the dashboards light…but then they all go out again…in order to try again, have to disconnect the cables and reconnect…we were never able to get the car started, however AAA was able to jump using the terminals under the hood. We tried that too, without any success. Could it be that the charger shuts off too quickly?

Also…I do not see the chargers listed at all on the ANKER website, even the newer one that I can still find on Amazon…have they all been discontinued?

The portable jump chargers have evolved and changed over the years. Dare I say they have been refined. Also just because you do not see them on the website does not mean they have been diacontinued…well the newer ones have not but the older ones have been. Anker is very bad at keeping up to date and current of their product offerings on their website, Amazon has a better inventory update of what is or isnt in stock.

As far as not being able to jump the Prius, are you sure the battery was fully charged? When was the last time it was charged fully and how long did it sit around before being used?

Also, the Prius is different than jumping most cars. You need to do a little more as Per this Guide

1. Open the hood and find the fuse block cover — there should be a jump start terminal under it.
  2. Connect the positive lead of your jumper cables to the positive terminal of your Prius, and the other positive lead to the corresponding terminal of the car providing the jump.
  3. Connect the negative lead of your jumper cables to the negative terminal of the car providing the jump.
  4. Connect the other negative lead to a solid, unpainted piece of metal that is not near moving parts or the jump start terminal.
  5. Start the vehicle providing the jump and let it run for five minutes. A “Ready” light will eventually appear on the indicator panel of the Prius.
2 Likes

It sounds like you did not leave the charger connected to the battery long it enough for it to store up enough juice to crank over.

When I jump start a car with another vehicle with jumper cables, I usually let the dead battery charge about 1-2 minutes before I try starting it.

When I use a Snap On jumper box here at my shop, I typically let it charge for at least 30 seconds-1 minute before I try starting it.

Tow trucks are typically equipped with larger and stronger jumper boxes, that is why they were able to jump it so easily.

Considering how small this portable charger is, I would definitely suggest letting it charge a depleted battery at least 1-2 minutes so the dead battery can get enough juice and build up enough cranking amps to turn over.

1 Like

When did Anker make car jumpers? They really did make everything.

I’ve had this issue with small jump start battery kits. They work but if the car battery is completely dead the jumper boxes won’t jump start your car unless you have a heavy duty unit. To use these little jumpers you need to make sure jumper box is the right size for your car.

I try and check the charge on these types devices at least once a month. They work great when they do but I don’t count on them 100%. They have gotten me out of a tough situation a few times and wouldn’t go without one.

The ones from Anker are nice unit and I plan on replacing mine with one of their newer ones.

Here’s their latest one: [New Release] Jump Starter Pro

1 Like

Woah, cool. Thanks!

1 Like

I just got this so look for my review in the next week or so

Hi @Daniel_Rosenthal,

Thank you for contacting us and letting us know your issue.

We regret to hear that the jump starter cannot start 2007 Prius hybrid and so sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you.

Before we offer further assistance, could you please try the following troubleshooting to see if the problem can be solved?

1, If your car battery’s voltage is higher than our jump starter’s voltage, you’re unable to jump start your car. Would you please turn on your car headlights(to low down your car battery’s voltage) and try to jump start your car again after 30 seconds? Please fully charge your jump starter before you try it again.

2, Move the '-'cable from the car battery, then connect the black clamp to the ‘-’ cable directly, and the red clamp still connected to"+"end. Turn on your car headlights, and press the reset button for seconds. Try to start your car again!

If the problem persists and your order is still within our 18-month warranty, please contact us via support@anker.com and we will be more than happy to help you out as per our warranty policy.

Currently, we only have one jump starter mini as below, we are so sorry to say that other jump starters have been discontinued.

Thanks again for being an Anker family.

Best regards,

1 Like

What about the new 800amp Roav jump starter. That isn’t discontinued is it? Great design btw loving the type c

I

2 Likes

That’s not the mini, as they pointed out there is only 1 mini. Which is the 400amp version and then the one you posted which is 800amp

1 Like

I thought @AnkerSupport meant we only have one jump starter not we only have one mini jump starter

That one still support the ROAVR312 discount code for $80

3 Likes