Coming Soon: PowerPort III Nano 20W

I should have knew to put the know. Lol

1 Like

Nice!!! Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Any updates about the PD version (not this PiQ version) rated 20W?

1 Like

I think we will get more updates when they release the next iPhone or around that time

1 Like

I think the US and EU versions may launch around / at the same time, since the EU version is already available for purchase in Asia

@professor @paulstevenewing @Insider

2 Likes

Cool.
Not sure I’ll be running out to upgrade by 18w Nanos @Shenoy
But would be nice to physically compare the two.

2 Likes

I don’t yet own anything needing more than 18W anyway so not rushing out either.

I’m waiting for my devices to die and replace with PD > 18W then may need, but not today.

I also idealogically am always against needing fast phone charging, I prefer to carry a Powercore which it needs faster recharging and keep it with me and my phone is fine with slow charging, it’s a much better system overall. If you’re in a situation you need a fast wall socket recharge, you’re vulnerable to situations of no wall charger.

I’ve just had a set of experiences last few days with confirmed my approach is best.

When Anker makes a reasonable priced faster recharge Powercore, I’d then have an argument for a matching faster Powerport, til then its moot.

2 Likes

Anker PowerPort Nano III is now available on Amazon

1 Like

UK version also shows as available
£17.99

UK version is just an upgrade of the earlier 18W.

It may have already been 20W as when I measured it I was getting >18W anyway.

1 Like

Tear down

http://www.chongdiantou.com/wp/archives/57910.html

You see

Which means it is capable of 22W.

2 Likes

I noticed that some of the amazon titles still indicate 18w while the updated images now state 20w. What is the difference between the new and old nano? Is it firmware related or a physical update, and has the model number changed?

1 Like

It is answered above.

Here is the 18W teardown

http://www.chongdiantou.com/wp/archives/47221.html

Here is the 20W teardown

http://www.chongdiantou.com/wp/archives/57910.html

If you look side-by-side

• product code changed from A2616 to A2633
  • The max current 2A to 2.22A (although note in my own tests of the UK Nano I was getting > 2A anyway already)
  • it appears, but I’m not 100% sure, to be slightly smaller and slightly lighter. The front of it is changed colour.
  • the original Nano had “too good” a chipset in it capable of 50W much higher than 18W, they’ve since used a lower end version capable of 27W. That doesn’t mean it’s inferior, it could simply be a supply issue at the time of the 18W, and different batches may have different chipsets and the teardown may not be representative so don’t attach too much weight to this point.
  • the rest of the components look identical at a cursory glance.
  • my opinion is the hardware was always capable of 22W they just tested it and sold as 18W and then made a slightly different one tested and sold as 20W. I’d not suggest to anyone owning the 18W to rush out for 20W, as charging elapsed time will be only minutes different. At most the 0%-80% charging period, which is half of total charging time may be 10% faster so meaning 5% faster from 0%-100%. But of course if you’re buying now, if the prices are the same, go for 20W.
3 Likes

Thank you for the info, I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to deciphering that stuff.

1 Like

It is for sure a real physically different product but using your own words it’s looking more like a firmware revision.

What was

is now

Now you need to place 20W over 18W in context:

• you need a device who’s ingest is 20W capable to see any benefit.
  • devices reduce their intake of power as they charge. Typically this is taking in full power 0%-80% then drops 80%-100, and spends half the time 80%-100%
  • meaning in this case even if you had a 20W capable device, you’d say about (10% faster for half the time) 5% reduced charging times, so say an hour becomes say 3 minutes faster.
  • If you’re remotely bothered about charging times, don’t buy Apple, practically the entire Android ecosystem is up around 30W now, higher end is 45W, Apple is about 3 years behind Android so if you’re an Apple fan you are pre-qualified someone who doesn’t care about charging time in truth.
3 Likes

Same a2716

1 Like

Such a shame they didn’t take the opportunity to give it folding pins for the USA socket type.

It’s the most obvious weakness of this product. I could see a kind of reason when they got product shipping for the original but there’s since been plenty of time to add folding pins.

They know how.

2 Likes

Pins for EU, China socket type
Folding pins not good for area

1 Like

I know. Folding pins for USA socket type only.

On other sockets I prefer dual USB as you cannot fold pins.

For example I’m expecting a do-over of these

Currently these are more than double the size of the nano when they should be a little larger than the Nano.

2 Likes

Where can I buy this 20W PD version (shown in this picture), I don’t want PiQ version.