Coming Soon: PowerCore Solar 10000!

Hmm I wonder when will this be coming out?

1 Like

Lol i know that much :rofl::rofl:

I meant to ask how much of input charging current and voltage is generated by the solar panel to charge the battery.

1 Like

Josh is linking to Amazon image URL, so its soon.

Speculation on price.

Price will be high then the usual discount. 10000 + solar, a discounted price around $35, so means launch price around $45. The cost of 10Ah is around $20-$25, add a tiny solar panel and packaging… add $10. I get to $35. That then is the 18% off price, so 35/0.82=$42 so round it to a $44.99.

Let’s see how good I am…

I suppose that depends on how much solar energy is available!

Soon is relative. Could be later this month, next month, or even the month after that.

I hope this does not get added to yet another list, this time for 2020 :grimacing:

2 Likes

Kind of.

Depends on:

• the amount of UV. Altitude, season, time of day, basically. UV is more energetic light. We can’t see it, but if we spend time in it we get terrible sunburn. People at altitude tend to wear hats, sunglasses and often have red noses.
  • temperature. Solar cells perform less well in heat, cold freezing suits them better
  • temperature. Lithium cells perform less well in heat and cold, around 20C room temperature suits them better.

Interesting conflict there. The solar panel would quite like to be near freezing, the human when near freezing would like the sun but then they burn, but the lithium cells would not like either. Pretty much these two technologies are not meant to be next to each other with a human next to them.

I can link to the relevant scientific studies if you want…

The only way I can think of this product from Anker not being a reviewers disaster is if they used a new type of cell which better tolerated heat. They do exist. Sodium, Graphene come top of mind.

So the real innovation would be the cells they used. If they don’t mention some of the newer cells technologies then walks like a duck…

1 Like

That’s great!

1 Like

My guess for the price is $60-$70

2 Likes

Game afoot!

2 Likes

First Look at the Bottom! :eyes:

Impressions?

The bottom looks like it has Wireless… Does it?

Wish Anker should merge and make Powercore Solar + Wireless 10 = Powercore Solar Wireless 10K

1 Like

Cool, so the lithium cells get cooked from both sides, sun and wireless induction eddy currents?

Wonder if the warranty is 18 months?

Without mentioning a new battery technology which tolerates heat better, this will be a warranty nightmare.

2 Likes

Sun & batteries???
Weird combination.
I never would buy such a thing.

2 Likes

Correct, the tiny solar panel means it will only actually charge when in strong sunshine, so gets hot quick. It will require a long time in sun to get any meaningful energy so the cells are cooked for hours. The solar panel also is a semiconductor, not a conductor, so it is a semi-insulator so it traps heat in more than, say, a metal case made of conductor.

Wireless must pass through a non-conductor also, so for it to shed the heat from induction eddy currents, really needs to be in an otherwise all-metal outer casing, which the solar on the opposite side defeats.

Electromagnetic and Chemistry worst combinations.

Better to carry simply more non-Solar Powercore instead for a short trip, or carry a large folding solar panel and 3ft cable to your shaded Powercore for a longer trip. The Powercore are more likely to work when you need them as not cooked, the solar is more likely to work as larger so outputs in imperfect sun conditions, and the cable keeps the Powercore out of the sun while the solar panel is in the sun. Eventually the Powercore, even if cared for, dies after a few years but you then get another and use with the same solar panel which doesn’t age as fast as Lithium cells so you get more value in the long term.

3 Likes

But it has a “modern green” touch! :wink:
In this case it doesn’t matter if its a nonsense! :joy:

My speakers are placed in front of me on the window bench.
Really good I have a roller blind to protect the speakers from solar irradiation.

1 Like

Good solar panels are currently around 28% efficient, so for every Watt of energy you get in useful, you receive 2.6 Watts as heat.

So say the solar panel on this product is 2 Watts, then it absorbs 5W as heat. Do that for say an hour you absorbed 9527 Joules of energy, which assuming this weighs 500g would raise its temperature 8C (assuming plastic).

That would lower the power efficiency of the cells by around 3Wh or around 10% less.

Happy for anyone to refute it, including myself via beta unit test.

1 Like

That’s an Idea : Testing!
But this should be a long time test!
I am sure you are right about the “watts”.
My idea was only it would not last long if
exposed to high temperatures which are needed.

2 Likes

I have 2 similar products for years. A 12000 mAh and a 4000 mAh.
Let’s see what is new in this. Solar charging is very slow for these type of powerbanks (like 1 watt or something).

1 Like

Do you use those very often?
Though I am not a green,
I am always extremely open for such techniques saving resources of our nature.

1 Like