Choosing Your Power Delivery Charger

Same as what I got from it.

As Anker have told us, it’s not good for larger stuff, whereas the rav did do larger (but not mega stuff!)

I always thought the prongs spoilt the atom from selling in 10s of millions. Change that, and they’ll sell by the bucket load… Only the size of a second output bigger, and they’ll sell like they’re free! Lots of salesman/business travellers wants small convenience, and for stuff to do 2 things at once… A 2 port atom only slightly bigger with foldable prongs would be heaven for most.

It seriously grinds my gears when people do reviews like that and knock features that shouldnt be compared anyway. The individual uses the Anker on a 13 inch macbook pro when simple search says this is a pointless test. The pro is prepackaged with a 61w charger, so you try to run it with a 30w charger for comparison??? Kinda no wonder it doesnt work very well. Hilariously enough though, had that blogger read this post for choosing chargers they would see the error of their ways. :joy:

On another note, 100 watts of power could help me make a new test fixture at work. The powerport speed 4 i used as a dc supply is holding up very well so far, but for another im designing ill need more juice.

The post was testing/reviewing GAN chargers, hence the comment regarding charging largers items. I’m sure if Anker had a larger gan charger they’d have.used it.

No i get that, but if you read the part about anker atom not perfect yet, the writer actually tried to use it for a macbook pro, it irks me when you try something knowing its wrong, thats all.

1 Like

The smaller an item is, the less important how small it is. The laptop the person is carrying dwarfs the charger so these low wattage charger being smaller is a distracting gimmick.

Not folding pins is a silly way to make smaller as its just going to scratch or gouge a hole into whatever it is next to.

What is required are the larger chargers to get smaller, and to merge chargers, so 60W, 100W, 2-3-4 port chargers, merging PD with IQ2. Then we’re talking materially real-world benefits to those who care about overall volume.

Not wanting to denegrate how 30W is getting smaller, just why is this product 1st then the really useful products are later?

1 Like

This is first because its new tech. From years of designing, when you break the mold of a product line, you build simple first and then expand it as you perfect it. The 30W single plug charger is simple (1 input, 1 output), effective (30W handles most standard products atm, laptops aside as thats still not standard yet), and sized properly to allow long term testing to ensure the technology is long term viable. Not to mention you have non folding plugs because they re asthetics. You want something to work great before you get fancy.

1 Like

Your last sentence I agree with. I disagree with does this product matches that statement

1 Like

It matches everything a first generation device should be. At 30W its effective (laptops and a handful of devices need more), its simple with regards to 1 in and 1 out, and with no moving componwnts you only judge it from its performance. Not sure what you feel this needs more for a first gen device tbh.

My laptop needs 45W. Waiting.

I’m with @nigelhealy, this should have had 45w from the start, 30w is just catering mostly to phones and tablets. There are many laptops out on the market for the past 2 to 3 years that require USB-C input and yet they still get no love

1 Like

Its the first iteration… Anker is trying to start at the base and work up, phones and tablets are still more prominent towards Anker than laptops, you guys are asking for future versions before first gen tech is even proofed out. They build the 30W, see how it holds up (all the testing in the world does not beat real world testing), then increase from there… Look at all of their lines practically, start small with a good track record, then get fancy.

Nope. It is a gimmick. Anything needing 30W is necessarily fairly big and the charger’s size is not that important. It is the 45W-60W chargers need shrinking more. Most of us move, when we move away from power long enough this matters, with multiple devices hence multiple ports and so we lack a 2-3-4 port 45W-60W.

That imagined person happy with a 30W charger is either at home so size of charger does not materially help, or they are moving and they will have a phone and buds and possibly a Powercore, etc. So their charger is…? Exactly.

The start small build up is nonsense, it should be start with the 60W order and work down.

If Anker released all these at the same time I would have no negativity but to begin with the smaller lower end stuff is not solving a real world problem.

Thanks for this post. Super useful guide.

Agree to disagree I guess. When people don’t build stuff like this for a living its hard to fathom why things are done that way. Guess it just is what it is.

Very informative, I feel like this information was needed for a while.

USBC - really need that for our next phones…

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like