Cannot charge iPod Classic

I have two very nice Anker products: Anker PowerPort 6 60W Wall Charger and Anker 2-Port 24W USB Wall Charger. I use them successfully to charge iPhones, cameras, and iPads of several generations. However, neither can charge an iPod Classic. When the iPod is connected to either of the chargers the iPod never indicates that it is being charged.

Any idea why the iPod Classic cannot be charged with these Anker products?

Hi @jack.klar , I take it that the iPod classic charges when connected to your computer USB port and/or when using a Apple USB mains adapter, to rule out the 30 pin USB cable being the cause?

Unfortunately, some of these devices were developed before a common USB charging standard became the norm. Anker’s typical compatibility statement is:

Compatible with Apple and Android smartphones, tablets (including the Nexus 7) and other USB-charged devices except for the iPod nano / Classic / Shuffle, HP TouchPad, Dell Venue 11 Pro and Asus tablets.

3 Likes

assuming that it hasn’t been turned on in a while and that it will not charge no matter what it is connected to the internal battery is probably dead and unsalvageable. I have had the same issue and decided repairs were not worth the hassle. I would try a hard restart.

Force restart your iPod classic
1)Put the Hold switch firmly in the unlocked position.
2)Press and hold the Menu and Center (or Select) buttons for 8 seconds, or until you see the Apple logo.

Also Check the dock connector and make sure that it is clean of debris and /or corrosion.

Good catch, I completely forgot about that!

2 Likes

I had an iPod years ago that stopped working all together, wouldn’t charge nor turn on. Later on, I noticed that the battery actually swelled up and popped the front and back plates apart. I don’t know if this was due to me having it sit on the Bose speaker all the time. But I ended up having to throw it out. It was my very first iPod, the one with the click wheel. :frowning: I loved that thing.

Sorry to hear that! I still have my 12 year old click wheel iPod as well… although the battery only lasts about 10 minutes now. :joy:

Love my iPod video classic 2006 - my Anker wall charger and cables charge mine no problem. Wish I had bought a higher capacity one though than the 30gb…

So unbelievably frustrating. The Anker Power Port 6 charges 5th Gen Ipod Nano but NOT 7th Gen iPod CLASSIC. The iPod classic does charge via laptop and numerous other generic usb plug in adapters (eg: samsung phone, zte phone) and even in my 2015 car. Bummed beyond belief. Why doesn’t this work? The 5th gen iPod Nano is OLDER than the 7th Gen Classic. WHY doesn’t i work? So bummed.

Hi everyone !
Sorry for my english…
I want buy anker battery (Powercore II 10000 or Powercore II 6700) but my older IPOD classic (5th gen) isn’t compatible…
I have read this on an other forum :

Good news to Anker loyalists: almost one year ago (around July 2018), Anker introduced ‘trickle’ mode. This is a fundamental feature, inherent to power banks which use a “hard on/off” slider switch. Unlike the “Universal Optimized PowerIQ VoltageBoost” marketroid nonsense, Anker’s ‘trickle’ mode should remain engaged until either its battery is drained flat or intentionally disengaged by operator.

These following Anker banks feature ‘trickle’ mode, so should Just Work with iPods Nano and Classic (sixth and seventh generations). Anker did not add their disclaimer «except for the iPod nano, iPod Classic, HP TouchPad, Dell Venue 11 Pro, Asus tablets and some GPS and Bluetooth devices.» to descriptions of these products.

* PowerCore Lite 10000mAh A1232
* PowerCore 10000 Redux A1234
* PowerCore 10000 PD A1235
* PowerCore 15000 Redux A1242
* PowerCore Lite 20000 A1269

Do you know if on 2019, there is a Anker batterie who can charge my Ipod (5th gen) ?
Thank you !!

I think you should be fine with any of the five you mentioned that support trickle-charging mode. If not, you can always return with Anker warranty.

Thanks for the answer !

Check if the battery of your ipod classic is still good.

She is very good :wink:
Sadly only these five anker’s battery are good for this Ipod and they need 8/10hours to charge with 5V/2A…

PowerCore 10000 PD charges much faster with a compatible PD charger.