Calling all Android users

I would get an S8 or S8 Plus only downside is the ridiculous placement of the fingerprint sensor.

1 Like

Thanks for that advice. I will definitely give the launcher a try if I go the Samsung route.

I actually usually go 3 years or more before upgrading my device so fast is best for me. Also depends a lot on how long they push software updates. My HTC one updated for 3 years, after they stopped updating it got stupid slow.

thought your subsidized CA phone contract was 2 years so youā€™d WANT to upgrade every 2 years and use old one as spare?

After 2 years the contract is over and I can save approx $30/month. The only way to make money and I have done this once is to get a new phone worth over $720 keep using the old one and sell the new one for more than $720=profit
I guess I could also sell the old one.

I keep an eye on repairability when I make a purchase. This guy is awesome

1 Like

That guy is a friggen rockstar! I love watching his videos!

1 Like

One way to be really GLAD youā€™re NOT an Apple sheep is by watching one of Talosive Techā€™s videos. I think Appleā€™s brainwashing power is really shown here:

You have to watch this video from Jerryrigeverything. from 1:50 to 2:10 Hilarious
link here

1 Like

Just an update, I went with the Galaxy s8 a couple of months ago as it was a very good deal. I got one with no addition to the contract price but am locked for 2 years. zero $ down. and a $150 account credit. I guess they wanted to keep me and my family plan. My provider does not install bloatware and the samsung stuff can be disabled. I am very happy with it and the display is outstanding. Not as happy with it as I was with my HTC in some cases but I just have to get used to it. I love the fingerprint scanner especially for passwords. I love the ability to have two apps open on the same screen and being able to resize the priority one, etc. I have been using the stock launcher and am going to change to my favorite Nova launcher to see if I get the HTC wow factor

Now I am on the look for my first tablet. Only needs to be WIFI. I have a work ipad and have tried using it while at the breakfast bar and hate it. I only need minimal use, browsing mostly and Anker work, any demanding work will be done on my laptop. Any suggestion? Maybe the galaxy tab? I have never owned an Android tablet and I assume it is just like using my phone, Thanks

1 Like

Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus.

USB C and QC 3.0ā€¦awesome, sounds like a nice match to go with what I haveā€¦and I happen to get along with Lenovo. Thanks @nigelhealy
Do you own one?

Great recommendation, while I do not have one my son uses one at school n his coding class and he loves it. I have also used it when I participated in his class and it was very responsiveā€¦much better than the Galaxy Tab that we have here at home

1 Like

I have Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus.

Ask away

1 Like

What was the most important reason for selecting the plus version as itā€™s $130 more here.
Speed, graphics, USB C, LTE?

I ordered the Plus version from China paid $270 2 months ago. The non-Plus version was not that much less

Reasons for Plus:

• 64GB storage vs 16GB storage. The Tab 4 range have a microSD slot for ā€œexternalā€ storage. 16GB is tight, I have suffered 16GB on a Nexus 7 2013 model for years. Some apps only store inside internal storage, some apps are unreliable on external storage
  • 4GB RAM vs 2GB RAM. This impacts performance and end-of-life
  • faster CPU

So just faster, more reliable basically.

I use this now as my travel laptop when I need to shrink equipment, I use a BT keyboard from an older tablet similar size and use if for work so email etc and so needs to be fast and reliable.

Paired with Anker Powerport (usually a Powerport4) and a Powercore (usually Powercore 10000) I have a fast reliable compact system. I prefer the 10" Pixel C for longer period as wider tablet with wider keyboard is faster less errors typing.

The annoying parts of the Lenovo Tab 4:

• not current Fastboot ROMs, unlike Google products, so harder to unbrick. Harder to root therefore.
  • Dumb Alexa bloatware. Iā€™ll install it if I want donā€™t bundle it.
  • battery could be larger

Great, thanks bud! I will save my pennies and go for the plus. The plus version is only available at one store locally right now and that is Best Buyā€¦$330 CAD which is a fair price but I will await the Easter sale as I am in no rush.
Is your Bluetooth keyboard attached to a case?

If Canada is like USA then the Plus model is ONLY a faster cpu and higher res screen, I bought the Plus model from China which has more RAM and storage. I checked and the Tab 4 8 Plus 64GB storage 4GB RAM is not currently available from the China supplier I got.

If I were buying everything new now Iā€™d still go for the Tab 4 8 Plus, and a Chromebook. Chromebooks are easier and with trackpad and so adding a tablet with added keyboard is not quite as good, at least in the Android ecosystem. Chrome ad-block is better than Android ad-block, as you have browser plugins vs unlocked bootloader, root, Adaway, Xposed, Minminguard and iYTBP.

As it happens I bought an LG Gpad 8.3 years ago someone decided they liked it so I gave it to them and I had a keyboard case with magnetic keyboard left over so Iā€™m using that keyboard. On a flight I donā€™t need keyboard so it is in a bag, but when I sit to work I use the keyboard.

My decision to spend $270 on an Android tablet is, in part, due to Ankerā€™s slow innovation in USB-PD. If Anker had in 2017 made a decent PD equivalent of the Powerport 2, 4, 5 , then I could in a compact manner use a laptop with a 30W-60W input with minimum cables and charger. Anker did not. So I had to segway, reluctantly, into another Android tablet investment with a USB-C 5V 2A 15W input to leverage the products Anker does ship.

I am now about 20% through a dense business / personal high travel period where Iā€™m moving where I sleep and lots of flights at a high frequency above normal where I need a good battery life and compact luggage, I have a string of flights, trains, hotels, with tight connections and I knew that was coming in October when deciding my tech decisions. This period ends in a few weeks (after 11 flights, 10 beds, 8 trains) in a month, and given its winter with cancelled flights and unplanned sleep-in-airport type problems, I have learned to be very compact and minimalist. Cables and chargers all add. Hence Anker.

Usually 90% of the folks around me are not prepared as well so I do help them out, either via charging their phones or just gifting them a Powercore (usually) ā€œKeep itā€. If Anker wanted to send me a crate of Powercore+ Mini I could probably hand out a hundred.

Glad youā€™re happy with your new phone and welcome to the wonderful world of Samsung. I recommend and UAG case they are not too expensive and offer style and very good protection.

thanks for the recommendation. I had a UAG for my Htc and I liked it a lot but it added a bit of bulk. Now that I got this huge S8 I wanted a slightly smaller profile case so I could put it in my pocket without some smarta$$ saying " hey buddy is that a phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" I opted for the Caseology [Parallax Series] and am very happy with it as it offers very nice grip for my hand.