Calling all Android users

hmm you can eliminate at least 4 of those phone if you need SD card if you need to take a lot of photos or video’s and don’t want to put it all in cloud storage. But yeah it’s hard to say which one since everyone have their own taste and of course usage. If you watch video a lot you might want a bigger screen and if you want the most current update you will have to go with Pixel or the iPhone.

1 Like

I would get an S8 or S8 Plus only downside is the ridiculous placement of the fingerprint sensor.

1 Like

Thanks for that advice. I will definitely give the launcher a try if I go the Samsung route.

I actually usually go 3 years or more before upgrading my device so fast is best for me. Also depends a lot on how long they push software updates. My HTC one updated for 3 years, after they stopped updating it got stupid slow.

thought your subsidized CA phone contract was 2 years so you’d WANT to upgrade every 2 years and use old one as spare?

After 2 years the contract is over and I can save approx $30/month. The only way to make money and I have done this once is to get a new phone worth over $720 keep using the old one and sell the new one for more than $720=profit
I guess I could also sell the old one.

I keep an eye on repairability when I make a purchase. This guy is awesome

1 Like

That guy is a friggen rockstar! I love watching his videos!

1 Like

One way to be really GLAD you’re NOT an Apple sheep is by watching one of Talosive Tech’s videos. I think Apple’s brainwashing power is really shown here:

You have to watch this video from Jerryrigeverything. from 1:50 to 2:10 Hilarious
link here

1 Like

Just an update, I went with the Galaxy s8 a couple of months ago as it was a very good deal. I got one with no addition to the contract price but am locked for 2 years. zero $ down. and a $150 account credit. I guess they wanted to keep me and my family plan. My provider does not install bloatware and the samsung stuff can be disabled. I am very happy with it and the display is outstanding. Not as happy with it as I was with my HTC in some cases but I just have to get used to it. I love the fingerprint scanner especially for passwords. I love the ability to have two apps open on the same screen and being able to resize the priority one, etc. I have been using the stock launcher and am going to change to my favorite Nova launcher to see if I get the HTC wow factor

Now I am on the look for my first tablet. Only needs to be WIFI. I have a work ipad and have tried using it while at the breakfast bar and hate it. I only need minimal use, browsing mostly and Anker work, any demanding work will be done on my laptop. Any suggestion? Maybe the galaxy tab? I have never owned an Android tablet and I assume it is just like using my phone, Thanks

1 Like

Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus.

USB C and QC 3.0…awesome, sounds like a nice match to go with what I have…and I happen to get along with Lenovo. Thanks @nigelhealy
Do you own one?

Great recommendation, while I do not have one my son uses one at school n his coding class and he loves it. I have also used it when I participated in his class and it was very responsive…much better than the Galaxy Tab that we have here at home

1 Like

I have Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus.

Ask away

1 Like

What was the most important reason for selecting the plus version as it’s $130 more here.
Speed, graphics, USB C, LTE?

I ordered the Plus version from China paid $270 2 months ago. The non-Plus version was not that much less

Reasons for Plus:

• 64GB storage vs 16GB storage. The Tab 4 range have a microSD slot for “external” storage. 16GB is tight, I have suffered 16GB on a Nexus 7 2013 model for years. Some apps only store inside internal storage, some apps are unreliable on external storage
  • 4GB RAM vs 2GB RAM. This impacts performance and end-of-life
  • faster CPU

So just faster, more reliable basically.

I use this now as my travel laptop when I need to shrink equipment, I use a BT keyboard from an older tablet similar size and use if for work so email etc and so needs to be fast and reliable.

Paired with Anker Powerport (usually a Powerport4) and a Powercore (usually Powercore 10000) I have a fast reliable compact system. I prefer the 10" Pixel C for longer period as wider tablet with wider keyboard is faster less errors typing.

The annoying parts of the Lenovo Tab 4:

• not current Fastboot ROMs, unlike Google products, so harder to unbrick. Harder to root therefore.
  • Dumb Alexa bloatware. I’ll install it if I want don’t bundle it.
  • battery could be larger

Great, thanks bud! I will save my pennies and go for the plus. The plus version is only available at one store locally right now and that is Best Buy…$330 CAD which is a fair price but I will await the Easter sale as I am in no rush.
Is your Bluetooth keyboard attached to a case?

If Canada is like USA then the Plus model is ONLY a faster cpu and higher res screen, I bought the Plus model from China which has more RAM and storage. I checked and the Tab 4 8 Plus 64GB storage 4GB RAM is not currently available from the China supplier I got.

If I were buying everything new now I’d still go for the Tab 4 8 Plus, and a Chromebook. Chromebooks are easier and with trackpad and so adding a tablet with added keyboard is not quite as good, at least in the Android ecosystem. Chrome ad-block is better than Android ad-block, as you have browser plugins vs unlocked bootloader, root, Adaway, Xposed, Minminguard and iYTBP.

As it happens I bought an LG Gpad 8.3 years ago someone decided they liked it so I gave it to them and I had a keyboard case with magnetic keyboard left over so I’m using that keyboard. On a flight I don’t need keyboard so it is in a bag, but when I sit to work I use the keyboard.

My decision to spend $270 on an Android tablet is, in part, due to Anker’s slow innovation in USB-PD. If Anker had in 2017 made a decent PD equivalent of the Powerport 2, 4, 5 , then I could in a compact manner use a laptop with a 30W-60W input with minimum cables and charger. Anker did not. So I had to segway, reluctantly, into another Android tablet investment with a USB-C 5V 2A 15W input to leverage the products Anker does ship.

I am now about 20% through a dense business / personal high travel period where I’m moving where I sleep and lots of flights at a high frequency above normal where I need a good battery life and compact luggage, I have a string of flights, trains, hotels, with tight connections and I knew that was coming in October when deciding my tech decisions. This period ends in a few weeks (after 11 flights, 10 beds, 8 trains) in a month, and given its winter with cancelled flights and unplanned sleep-in-airport type problems, I have learned to be very compact and minimalist. Cables and chargers all add. Hence Anker.

Usually 90% of the folks around me are not prepared as well so I do help them out, either via charging their phones or just gifting them a Powercore (usually) “Keep it”. If Anker wanted to send me a crate of Powercore+ Mini I could probably hand out a hundred.

Glad you’re happy with your new phone and welcome to the wonderful world of Samsung. I recommend and UAG case they are not too expensive and offer style and very good protection.

thanks for the recommendation. I had a UAG for my Htc and I liked it a lot but it added a bit of bulk. Now that I got this huge S8 I wanted a slightly smaller profile case so I could put it in my pocket without some smarta$$ saying " hey buddy is that a phone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" I opted for the Caseology [Parallax Series] and am very happy with it as it offers very nice grip for my hand.