Buying Guide: Anker Wall / Desktop Chargers!

What other pictures would you recommend I insert? Thanks!

1 Like

if you are staying home, vs if you are traveling, and how you travel, impacts what is the best answer. I spent sometimes weeks moving out of a backpack and I may walk 100 miles, so I have the weight of the Anker items, all of its cables, plus their size impact the size of the backpack and the backpack’s weight. Can show size+weight of different chargers+cables.

Shorter USB cables vs longer power cord = electrically more efficient and lower cost. Why have say a 5 port desktop charger with a short power cord and long USB cords, when a longer powercord and shorter USB is lower cost and more power efficient.

Photos would show this better than words.

Here are some size comparisons of different options.

Shown is:

• Aukey 12W dual-port charger
  • Anker 24W dual-port Powerport2 (not the Elite)
  • Anker 40W 4-port Powerport4
  • Anker 40W 5-port Powerport5 USB-C
  • 12ft extension cord

Example of using the 12ft extension with the Powerport2 and Powerport4 to make 6 ports of 64W combined. The extension cord can plug in 3 items at once but the Powerport block a port so its 1 each side to make max 2 connected.

If:

• the wall socket is near by your devices (e.g. desk socket) then the smallest simplest are the Aukey (if need 12w / 2 sockets), Powerport2 (24W / 2 sockets), Powerport4 (40W / 4 sockets) as they are simple devices with folding pins and in this context you need short USB cables, so overall a small simple package.
    Else if:
  • the wall socket is a few week away, the Powerport5 (and hence the 6 and 10 port bigger versions) are the next simplest, you have the supplied 5ft cord to the wall socket and then the Powerport is next to your devices, also on short USB cables
    Else if:
  • the wall socket is far away, say 10ft away, then use the extension cord to get it like as per right next to you, then use the 2-4 port, in combination to get the ports and Watts you need.

When I travel to an unknown location, I take the 12ft extension cord as it allows for maximum flexibility, then depending on how many devices I have, the required port capacity from the individual chargers. A common one for me is the Powerport2 and the Aukey as then 4 ports 36W to charge phone+tablet+powercore+BT.

If you did want to combine a Powerport charger with some stored power then shown is the Powercore Fusion 5000 (the black one in middle) which is a combination of a 10.5W 2 port charger with 5000mah of energy, among the others.

g

3 Likes

Lingo just means…All the extra verbage…Over wording, …You’ve broken it down to something the average user might be able to understand a lil easier. :grinning:

3 Likes

@nigelhealy I don’t think you have enough. Better get some more :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks Josh, we will always support good post in the community, good job!:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

a great post. I have many friends who ask me what type of charger to buy. This article solves the problem.

thanks Anker.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

October 2017 Update:

Hi, if you’re looking into purchasing one of Anker’s USB wall/desktop chargers, but aren’t sure which one would be the best for your devices, hopefully this guide will help you out!

The most important factor that should go into deciding which charger to get is what devices you’re planning on charging with the product.
-iPhones/iPads, Quick Charge compatible devices (some Android phones), or USB-C devices?

Then, you want to start thinking about how many devices you could potentially have to charge at once (how many ports you’ll be needing). Finally, do you want a wall charger (one that plugs directly into the outlet), or a “desktop charger,” as Anker calls them, which simply means that there is a cord that runs from the outlet to the charging hub itself. These are present on the chargers with more ports.

If iPhone/iPad only, then you might want to consider one of the following chargers.
-2 port (wall)
-4 port (wall)
-6 port (desktop)
-10 port (desktop)
Another innovative Anker product is their PowerCore Fusion, which serves as a hybrid between a wall charger and a portable charger. Check it out!

*Note that all of these chargers are also compatible with most Android devices (for specific exceptions see Amazon listings). They just might not charge as fast as their full potential.

With that being said, if you’re going to be charging one or more Qualcomm Quick Charge compatible devices, then I’d strongly recommend the following chargers:
-2 port (both are QC, wall)
-4 port (only 1 is QC, wall)
-5 port (2 are QC, desktop)
*Note that these chargers are also compatible with iPhones and iPads.

If you have a device that uses USB-C, then your options are very limited ATTM, but here are a couple of the best ones:
-1 port (wall, PD)
-5 port (desktop, only one is USB-C, which is PD)
*Note that you can also charge USB-C devices via a USB-A port. It might not be full speed, but all you need is a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Keep in mind that the more ports the charger has, generally speaking, the larger and heavier (and therefore less portable) the charger is.

I will try my best to keep the information in this post updated as new products become available.

I hope this guide helped you choose which charger to buy! Let me know if you have any questions or share your experience with Anker chargers! Thank you and have a nice day!

Please check out my other buying guide for car chargers!

3 Likes

what about powecores, Especially powercore + 20100 usb c

I was going to make a guide for power banks, but I was far too confused myself to make any valid recommendations, and as often as Anker releases new ones, it is hardly worth it. Here is an example of all the 20000mAh power banks Anker sells on Amazon right now.

PowerCore 20000
PowerCore+ 20000
PowerCore II 20000
PowerCore Elite 20000
PowerCore Speed 20000
PowerCore Speed 20000 (Upgraded)

The situation with the 10000s is better, but only slightly.

PowerCore 10000
PowerCore+ 10000
PowerCore II 10000
PowerCore II Slim 10000
PowerCore Speed 10000
PowerCore 10000 QC

Perhaps the saddest part is that out of all I listed, none have USB-C. It is almost 2018. Surely @nigelhealy is also disappointed. I thought they ‘promised’ more!

1 Like

@joshuad11 I am sorry I meant wall charger to charge a USB-C 20100 the fastest possible way

So the PowerCore+ 20000 inputs at 12W, so any 2.4A port will provide fastest possible charge. PowerPort II 2 is best current solution Anker offers. Review coming soon!

Though this might be best for “future proofing”.

What about fusion 5000? how would that do?

Fusion 5000 would not provide fastest charge when it is plugged into the wall, as it is 2.1 vs the potential 2.4 of your power bank (assuming Anker is telling the truth with their specs). However, if it is not plugged into the wall, it would provide fastest possible charge, and perhaps faster than 2.4A charger due to Voltage Boost (Fusion 3A output when unplugged), as long as it’s the only thing you’re charging.

I hope we see a Fusion sequel shortly, as I have avoided the current Fusion.

Fusion is a compromise device, merging two normally separate functions but it gains in the merger on convenience, simplicity which helps those not gadget minded, and in minimum total size for say an overnight or two trip. I keep it in my EDC work bag (along with a LC40 torch and a knife).

Where is it weaker is it is only a 3A output when not plugged into wall, only is 2A output when plugged into wall and only 5000mAh. You can get faster chargers and larger batteries.

But often 2A is enough, 5000mAh is enough and so for a typical user with a phone its a good companion solution.

2 Likes

Same, I am waiting for a new one, as you know I love the LED wheel

1 Like

Nigel, I always intended to ask you if you like the aluminum/metal Anker power banks better or the plastic ones? Personally, I always liked the plastic ones better, but only slightly because they felt cheap. I’m falling in love with the new materials used in the PowerCore II series… just wish they would combine the rubber with it.

I love the cold aluminium casing, it seems to do better with heat and does not have odor. After owning a plastic and aluminium Power bank, I think the metal adds not only a premium feel but also aesthetics.