Buy the PowerCore II 10000 NOW

Right. That’s the technological limiting factor and it where you’d expect over time the greater innovation as manufacturing incrementally improves. If you simply took the ingest speed of the newest 26800 you’d expect to see 10000 to recharge in 1.8 hours.

There would be a few valid reasons for it not that fast

• if it were round rather than a slab, as round has less surface area per volume so higher temperature
  • if they’d shrunk the electronics right now, if it were smaller.

In this case its a puzzle of why so physically large, as a slab with only 1 port and 4 hours recharge. It’s as if its 1 year older technology.

1 Like

So you have basically right now a limiting factor more of electronics than you do of lithium ion or lithium polymer chemistry. As Anker don’t make the cells they design the chips and housing, it is Anker who is the limiting factor.

Take example of a 18650 good quality lithium ion cell. It would have say 3400mah and be capable of being recharged at 1c so 3.4A / h and discharge at 2c so 6.8A/h, at a medium voltage of 3.7 you get a recharge rate of 12W and a discharge rate of 25W. The slower you recharge in particular the long the cell lasts, so there’s a trade-off between speed of product and warranty costs. So the cells themselves say a 4 cell 13600mah powerbank could recharge in 1 hour ingesting at 50Watts and actually have the lithium discharge capabity of 100W so enough to charge the highest USB-PD profiles…

The voltage of the cell increases as you recharge so the buck converter which steps down the 5V input has to regulate its output slowly upwards, that is where the technological limiting factor kicks in as you’re incapable of having perfect electronics efficiency, a good design would be 95% efficient so in the case of just 1 cell you’d have 0.6W of loss in heat, or in say a 4 cell 13600 mAh system even though the cells could recharge in 1 hour you’d have heat of 2.5W of heat or over an hour is 2.5Wh or 9058 Joules. Heat into temperature is material specific (specific heat density) but say 1 gram of copper would raise its temperature by 1C needs 0.385 of Joules so that 9058 Joules would raise 1 gram of copper by 23527C. Obviously not as that heat is dumped in this case over an hour and it radiate out a lot. The melting point of copper is 1085C, so excluding radiation and conduction, to avoid the copper melting you’d need at least 21g of copper as a heatsink which is 8.96g/cm3 so need 2.4 cm3 of copper and so if you made it really thin to dissipate heat say 1mm thick then is 24cm2 or 5cm square.

This then becomes impractical in a pocketable device.

So there is a limit, related to heat of recharge. As electronics gets more efficient then you have less heat from the electronics so for given mAh you can recharge faster and discharge faster. Given Anker is aiming for a price usually around the $20-$30 mark, this limits the technology you can use.

So this is significantly why powerbanks are getting faster, because the electronics are improving, or faster for a given cost.

With the slap shape of the Powercore II it is more heat-dissipating friendly, the surface of the Powercore II 10000 is 44cm2, compare with say the Powercore 10000 is 35cm, so there’s 25% more surface area (just on the flat sides).

The IQ2 likely uses newer smaller manufacturing techniques, they should be more efficient.

So you then have where Anker’s know-how kicks in, they know for the materials they use the specific heat and conductance and know if they increase their recharge speed in particular what is the safe upper limit.

The surprise is the shape should allow a safer upper limit, and newer electronics should cause less heat per unit of power and so allow to run faster to allow the release more power. So if you could make say the 5000 Slim recharge in 3 hours and it doesn’t get hot, I’m surprised a Powercore released July 2016, in May 2017 you’re 4 hours recharge for a physically larger device.

I guess Anker knows best.

1 Like

Now they’ve dropped the price.

$29.99 is not $32.99

1 Like

Well, Anker previously said that it would sell for $29.99 so that’s why I said that before they made the official change…

It is currently unavailable… why do these things go out of stock so quickly?!

It is made in China. It has an Amazon partner for shipping. That means they must in stock in USA in warehouse to then ship.

So its made in China, boxed up (is it sent via boat or air? Methinks air?), arrives via US customers into warehouse, they then put that quantity up for sale, it is sold out. Repeat.

If its a predictable demand you’d have it done all in parallel, you’d have some being shipped before US stock depletes.

The main problem with keeping ahead of demand are:

• deeper supply chain, you have more of your money locked in manufacturing and stock.
  • you can guess wrong, over-estimate demand, then have excess stock and you then have to discount to shift.

I suspect what this forum, Anker giveaways, and out-of-stock is all part of a total strategy. Where they under-estimate demand you have “unavailable” and where they over-estimate demand you get the giveaways and discounts.

If they were to, say, too much under-estimate demand they’d be out of stock so much they’d not sell much (lost revenue), if they were to, say, too much over-estimate demand, then money which could be, say, manufacturing some other product you wanted instead, is locked up in stock which isn’t shifting so they lost doubly, the one they could have made by instead making something else you wanted, and in discounting to shift what they had made already.

As a consumer this is extremely easy: know what you want months in advance, be patient, everything you want will eventually not only be stock but also eventually a lower price. What you’d not want is spontaneity or impatient, that’s the road to dissatisfaction and higher cost.

1 Like

In stock now in USA

Still out of stock in UK.

was just thinking about updating that, haha Thanks!

I meant on the PD PowerCore+ post. It is also back in stock. Also, the SoundCore 2 and Boost are showing in stock in early June as well. Pro still unavailable.

I still find it strange that there is absolutely no mention of IQ 2.0 in the listing…

Right. The odd thing is its so big given its 10000mah and 1 port. If it were smaller or had 2 ports I’d buy it. I currently travel with the 10000 and 5000 Slim to get 2 ports and a degree of redundancy. Bear in mind 2 Powercore will charge twice as fast as each is getting 2A.

I don’t own any QC, and QC is physically larger and higher cost so why would i ever buy anything QC from Anker. I do own a OnePlus3T which has a proprietary “DASH” charger which is physically huge so I travel usually just with the common denominator of 2A 5V 10W like from Anker, Aukey, etc.

1 Like

Don’t you think it’s weird that the PowerCore II 10000 has only one port, yet the Fusion 5000 has 2?!

No not weird. The II 10000 is QC and it is delivering all of its power to 1 port. The Fusion is only a 15W output when off battery, the II 10000 is (I guess, I don’t own to meter) 18W?

I’m wanting just a 2.4A output dual (4.8A total) socket small Powercore. Right now they don’t make one, they have the bigger 10400 but when I measure it I’m better off pairing say a Mini+ and say 10000 to get 2 ports. Two batteries are going to be more reliable than one battery as they are redundant and even though the Min+ is only 1A input the two batteries combined ingest at 3A which is superior to the 10400.

What is weird is they haven’t released a compact Li Poly dual-socket 10000mah item. It should be trivial to Anker. Also given a Slim 5000 can input 2A a new 10000 should be able to be dual 2A input. It should be physically smaller than 2 5000 as shared electronics shared packaging.

1 Like

So you want a 10000 that has dual inputs and outputs, right?

Well to be fully clear, I see if Anker can make a 5000mah 10W input 10W output portable charger, they made in a flat shape in the Slim 5000 and in the cylindrical 5000, then they should be able to make a 10000mah 20W input 20W output portable charger.

They then can take the 10W input in a few different flavors. One flavour could be dual 2A input, another could be say a single USB-C input. One flavor of output could be dual 2A output, another could be one USB-C output.

What Anker chose to do is a bias to QC in the Powercore II 10000. That ignores the entire Apple owner community and most Android users. QC is a 18W upper standard, so other similar Wattage in other than QC should be next.

I meter and feel the temperature of different portable chargers, I do find the cylindrical shape tallies with laws of physics you’d expect that a cylinder is inherently hotter (cylinder = smaller surface area per unit volume) than a flatter shape. So given that I expect something the shape of the Powercore II 10000 can be made in other flavors.

I meter devices through their charge cycle. For about half their charging time they take less than the maximum. Hence in a single-port portable charger, half the time it is not working at its full capability. To get more out of the portable charger, a dual socket 2A output will on average not be all ports taking the max. Hence they should be able to offer say 20W budget total, each port rated upto say 3A then if I plug in say a 3A tablet and a 1.3A phone, then they’d not be at full charge initially but the phone would drop its ingest at 85% and then the tablet gets full 3A. Also if you use a device, even if you just touch the screen, then the metered ingest drops as the device responds to thermal pressure. So, again, if you plug in a portable charger to a device you are using, there is opportunity to charge other devices which are not being used on the other port(s).

i also see the Li Poly products seem (anecdotally) out of stock more easily, that is telling that Anker has a supply probiem with Li Poly. That is causing prioritization of product releases. I hope the bias to QC is addressed soon.

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial he makes some great points

You were right. Out of stock again.

One of Anker’s power banks outputs QC3 but only inputs QC 2, don’t recall which one.

Thar would make sense as recharge has to be slower than discharge and I expect there is a licensing cost which drops for older.