Buy the PowerCore II 10000 NOW

Anker has just released the PowerCore II 10000 to the public. There has been lots of anticipation regarding this charger for the past several months, and it’s finally here - in black for now. You can purchase it for $32.99 + $3.99 shipping right now. It is in stock. You could get it in the June 7-12 timeframe if you order right now.

Buy it on Amazon NOW HERE.

PowerIQ 2.0 is never mentioned, so we’ll have to wait for the official word on that but Anker did say that it would be included months ago. Time will tell.

Something else I noticed was that this item is listed as being available on Amazon on January 3, however, when I searched for it back then, it was nowhere to be found. Is Anker keeping these listings private for awhile or what? I’ve noticed this with other products as well, not just this one.

That’s all I’ve got. Thanks, everyone, and have a nice day!

Thanks for the link.

This seems more of a sideways than an upgrade step.

The recharge time of 4 hours seems slow. The recently released Powercore+ PD 26800 (yes one of the 6 26800 products) is 4.8 hours. My Powercore 26800 (dual 2A input) recharges in 6 hours. The Slim 5000 is 3 hours. So two Slims for example would combined charge 10000 in less time than one Powercore II 10000. Doesn’t that strike you as odd that double the capacity would not utilized to parallel charge two Polymers and in parallel?

Only 1 output port. Given its physically larger why only 1 port?

It is physically larger and heavier than the Powercore 10000 which has 1 port.

Yep, wondering how long it stay at $80? A day? So then it can become reduced to $30 with the sale.

Which Quick Charge is it? Still 3 or is this 4?

As Anker releases these I add to my spreadsheet which contains whatever i can stumble upon. For me as I live out of backpack a lot, I look for recharge time (for the brief time near a wall socket) and mAh / oz / cuin. These still point to the Powercore 10000 and Powercore 26800 as the sweetspots, so somewhat disappointed a year has passed and Anker not done better in density and speed of recharge.

I believe it is QC 3. It charges via QC 3 as well.

Charges faster than my Speed 20000 QC haha!

I believe that also. Just wondering why its so physically large for the mAh, wondering if new QC4. So its 13% larger and 15% heavier for some reason.

1 Like

Maybe it has something to do with the new battery type?

Well the shape points to Polymer. Given its got double the mah of the Slim 5000 (who’s shape like the Powercore II 20000) points to polymer, given the Slim 5000 has 1 port, the Powercore II 20000 has 3 ports, why the new Powercore II 10000 is only 1 port. If they’d made it physically smaller I’d understand but given its so large and polymer its just a puzzle of why so slow, why only 1 port, why so large. You can see the compromise in say the Powercore 10000, its only 1 port and only 2A inpu and output but it is very small for its mah. What’s the Powercore II 10000 excuse for being so large and so slow given its got QC3?

Other than the lack of QC4 - which is not a major disappointment in my opinion - , I do not see what is making it “so slow”. (?)

So when I mean slow, I mean relative to what it could have been if threw all the current most modern technology at the product.

So each cell has a upper safe limit on its recharge Wattage input. So in general smaller cells and fewer cells recharge slower. Fewer mouths empty the table slower. So if you book-end this with say the Slim 5000 at the lowest end and say the 26800 newest one at the upper end, 5000 charges in 3 hours, 26800 charges in 4.8 hours, so you see there between 1700mA/hour to 5600mA/hour - that is the capability of Anker and their hardware in that range. My months-old 26800 is a recharge in 6 hours so 4500mA/hour.

So then look at the brand new Powercore II 10000 is 2500mA/hour. If you simply took say the latest 26800 in 4.8 hours and scaled it by 10000/26800 you should see 1.8 hours, not 4 hours. Or even the months older 26800 you’d get 2.3hrs not 4 hours.

The puzzle is given the shape is a slab, it has a lot of surface area to dissipate heat of recharge.

1 Like

So you’re mostly referring to recharge speeds, correct?

Right. That’s the technological limiting factor and it where you’d expect over time the greater innovation as manufacturing incrementally improves. If you simply took the ingest speed of the newest 26800 you’d expect to see 10000 to recharge in 1.8 hours.

There would be a few valid reasons for it not that fast

• if it were round rather than a slab, as round has less surface area per volume so higher temperature
  • if they’d shrunk the electronics right now, if it were smaller.

In this case its a puzzle of why so physically large, as a slab with only 1 port and 4 hours recharge. It’s as if its 1 year older technology.

1 Like

So you have basically right now a limiting factor more of electronics than you do of lithium ion or lithium polymer chemistry. As Anker don’t make the cells they design the chips and housing, it is Anker who is the limiting factor.

Take example of a 18650 good quality lithium ion cell. It would have say 3400mah and be capable of being recharged at 1c so 3.4A / h and discharge at 2c so 6.8A/h, at a medium voltage of 3.7 you get a recharge rate of 12W and a discharge rate of 25W. The slower you recharge in particular the long the cell lasts, so there’s a trade-off between speed of product and warranty costs. So the cells themselves say a 4 cell 13600mah powerbank could recharge in 1 hour ingesting at 50Watts and actually have the lithium discharge capabity of 100W so enough to charge the highest USB-PD profiles…

The voltage of the cell increases as you recharge so the buck converter which steps down the 5V input has to regulate its output slowly upwards, that is where the technological limiting factor kicks in as you’re incapable of having perfect electronics efficiency, a good design would be 95% efficient so in the case of just 1 cell you’d have 0.6W of loss in heat, or in say a 4 cell 13600 mAh system even though the cells could recharge in 1 hour you’d have heat of 2.5W of heat or over an hour is 2.5Wh or 9058 Joules. Heat into temperature is material specific (specific heat density) but say 1 gram of copper would raise its temperature by 1C needs 0.385 of Joules so that 9058 Joules would raise 1 gram of copper by 23527C. Obviously not as that heat is dumped in this case over an hour and it radiate out a lot. The melting point of copper is 1085C, so excluding radiation and conduction, to avoid the copper melting you’d need at least 21g of copper as a heatsink which is 8.96g/cm3 so need 2.4 cm3 of copper and so if you made it really thin to dissipate heat say 1mm thick then is 24cm2 or 5cm square.

This then becomes impractical in a pocketable device.

So there is a limit, related to heat of recharge. As electronics gets more efficient then you have less heat from the electronics so for given mAh you can recharge faster and discharge faster. Given Anker is aiming for a price usually around the $20-$30 mark, this limits the technology you can use.

So this is significantly why powerbanks are getting faster, because the electronics are improving, or faster for a given cost.

With the slap shape of the Powercore II it is more heat-dissipating friendly, the surface of the Powercore II 10000 is 44cm2, compare with say the Powercore 10000 is 35cm, so there’s 25% more surface area (just on the flat sides).

The IQ2 likely uses newer smaller manufacturing techniques, they should be more efficient.

So you then have where Anker’s know-how kicks in, they know for the materials they use the specific heat and conductance and know if they increase their recharge speed in particular what is the safe upper limit.

The surprise is the shape should allow a safer upper limit, and newer electronics should cause less heat per unit of power and so allow to run faster to allow the release more power. So if you could make say the 5000 Slim recharge in 3 hours and it doesn’t get hot, I’m surprised a Powercore released July 2016, in May 2017 you’re 4 hours recharge for a physically larger device.

I guess Anker knows best.

1 Like

Now they’ve dropped the price.

$29.99 is not $32.99

1 Like

Well, Anker previously said that it would sell for $29.99 so that’s why I said that before they made the official change…

It is currently unavailable… why do these things go out of stock so quickly?!

It is made in China. It has an Amazon partner for shipping. That means they must in stock in USA in warehouse to then ship.

So its made in China, boxed up (is it sent via boat or air? Methinks air?), arrives via US customers into warehouse, they then put that quantity up for sale, it is sold out. Repeat.

If its a predictable demand you’d have it done all in parallel, you’d have some being shipped before US stock depletes.

The main problem with keeping ahead of demand are:

• deeper supply chain, you have more of your money locked in manufacturing and stock.
  • you can guess wrong, over-estimate demand, then have excess stock and you then have to discount to shift.

I suspect what this forum, Anker giveaways, and out-of-stock is all part of a total strategy. Where they under-estimate demand you have “unavailable” and where they over-estimate demand you get the giveaways and discounts.

If they were to, say, too much under-estimate demand they’d be out of stock so much they’d not sell much (lost revenue), if they were to, say, too much over-estimate demand, then money which could be, say, manufacturing some other product you wanted instead, is locked up in stock which isn’t shifting so they lost doubly, the one they could have made by instead making something else you wanted, and in discounting to shift what they had made already.

As a consumer this is extremely easy: know what you want months in advance, be patient, everything you want will eventually not only be stock but also eventually a lower price. What you’d not want is spontaneity or impatient, that’s the road to dissatisfaction and higher cost.

1 Like

In stock now in USA

Still out of stock in UK.

was just thinking about updating that, haha Thanks!

I meant on the PD PowerCore+ post. It is also back in stock. Also, the SoundCore 2 and Boost are showing in stock in early June as well. Pro still unavailable.