Beast from east

There is a repeating theme in UK of “someone else will fix this”.

Here in USA there is a “lean in” where you solve things. Do not complain. Do. We made companies like Google, Facebook, Uber, AirBnB, we did NASA and put man on the moon.

Quit looking for someone else - do.

Oh and I am not painting USA in a perfect light, the tiny majority in a few small states who caused the current POTUS, shows we’re all vulnerable to dumbness, while at the same time totally confident we’re right. The cold folks on a train prove the point of “someone else will fix this”.

1 Like

Totally right mate.
I went to work yesterday with wellies, gloves, scarf, waterproofs, anker battery, small torch, money, water and a handful of flap jacks because i didn’t know if i could drive home.

Turns out it was fine until i got to my street, then got a bit slippy but ok for the 100 yards.

1 Like

I hope the torch was Anker?

LC40?

BTW in USA “torch” basically means what you would call “flare” so have to say “flashlight” and yes I know it is not flashing usually.

1 Like

Of course it was :laughing:

1 Like

The natural gas shortage warning is cancelled as the supply is now up.

1 Like

I see that

but if it happened, it can happen again. Learn. Avoid.

1 Like

I earn’t my exercise ring by clearing the path today :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::+1: good effort!

I got out of work this morning from job 1 to about 6 inches of snow, on my way to job 2 the roads were slick and really bad. I left job 2 at around noon time because it started to snow even more and didn’t want to get stick trying to go home.

Luckily I managed to barely make it home, there was a SUV that took out a powerpole…literally split the pole in half around the SUV, 2 cars were off the road in a ditch. I almost ended up off road but managed to keep my car on the road and made it home.
I was supposed to go to work tonight but it’s still snowing and keeps going from rain to snow so that’s a big nope nope nope. Not gonna risk it

Stay safe, you’re a Dad.

1 Like

Exactly why I decided to stay home.

1 Like

A bus went past earlier, so not sure if Jane can get to work and I can escape n have a coffee out!

Been to the shops and now it’s started to snow again :slight_smile:

Also

When the forum tells you off for posting to much :zipper_mouth:

5 Likes

What they expect, letting a taffy join in the first place! LMAO

Mind, I might have been born in Somerset, but my whole heritage is Welsh. lol

2 Likes

Yeah, took the pic from the Castle showing the grounds with Parliament Buildings in the background.

Sure sign that I forgot to turn the BBQ off last night when it started to snow , notice no snow on it.

Even though snow is normal for where I live this year has been back breaking

The issue with UK snow is it snows so little / infrequently they do not have the infrastructure, skills, experience to handle it, like you do in places such as Canada. So its the costs of having snow ploughs, trains which clear snow, de-icers for aircraft, etc are not invested. The UK has a lower ownership of 4x4 vehicles so more cars get stuck and cause traffic problems. Added to the lack of experience means some folks inadvertently (through the absence of experience) get into bad situations so the emergency services get stretched.

This manifests as when it snows in say Scotland which gets it more often it is not in the news, but when it hits London then its tops the news.

When the planet was colder it would snow every winter so folks were accustomed, practiced, and owned things like Wellington boots, and would hoard food and energy (coal, candles) for winter caused power loss, now folks are coming out of school into work with no prior snow experience. So we’re entering a period where the children who were in houses managed by a generation with snow experience are now buying homes and assets with no experience themselves.

Here in California near the Pacfiic we do not get snow nor ice at low latitudes, where most live, particularly the issue here is it does not rain for months and then when it rains the roads become very slippy. So the last 2 vehicles I bought are 4WD with all the anti-skidding electronics. Snow is about a 2 hours drive upto say Lake Tahoe or Yosemite.

BTW the amusing opposite problem of summer is apparent, you can spot a Brit person in California, they are the ones pink and peeling from not knowing the UV is a lot stronger further south, the t-shirt with open neck in UK causes a sore night in California.

3 Likes

You are correct in saying that we are very prepared, over half the vehicles are 4 wheel drive but several times a year we experience what we call a chinook wind that catches people in the duh zone. Really warm one day then massive snow the next makes for ice that 4x4’s can’t fix and then this results .

2 Likes

This is in USA actually but you see one of the reasons I consider car drivers as evidence we have yet to evolve intelligent life on this Planet.

That’s nasty, I can’t believe how many people are getting out of their vehicles… NEVER GET OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE unless you are under water or on fire

2 Likes