Beast from east

We had an email about potential to close building allow staff to leave early etc. But they are monitoring it which means they will maybe reconsider about half 4 lol

Careful now

Left work at 11, closed tomorrow too. :grin:

4 Likes

Looks like I am going to work from home all this week now…

2 Likes

Just found these lovely icicles

3 Likes

Ooooooh spectacular :snowflake:

Lots of snow here over the past few days. My mother in law is stranded here with us now due to canceled flights!
Drive to the airsoft this morning was rather “entertaining”

6 Likes

Looks well lush. Love the snow :snowman_with_snow:
But the girls don’t want to go out because it’s “too” cold :joy:

My two year old son doesn’t want to come back home really enjoyed the snow :snowman:

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a snow day tomorrow to make a it a long weekend, but I doubt I will.

I wouldn’t fancy being stranded on a motorway for an hour let alone 18.

Love the pic. Looks so peaceful and cold. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be safe out there, I think its getting very close to @Oggyboy right now

1 Like

It is very very windy but not snowy enough. It’s more like washing powder than chunky snow.

1 Like

The UK has a memory in its older people of how to handle this but its old skills, the younger ones are at risk from sheer naivety. Like driving in this weather. Plenty worse weather I remember in the 70s but then we had wellies and thick coats and everything we needed was yards away.

Coal bunkers

Now with highly interconnected complex systems it easily all falls apart. The idea you’d fly somewhere was exceptionally rare, the idea of owning a car was also rare. Every house had candles.

I’m watching BBC Newsnight and there is a risk that the UK has insufficient gas due to the long cold weather and a net importer.

1 Like

Makes sense. Stormont?

Crazy isn’t it? A week of cold weather, everyone has their heating on (including me). Ive seen so many posts on facebook saying their boiler isn’t working too because their condensation pipe is frozen. (Mine is well lagged) Modern life or people cannot cope.

Back in the 70’s/80’s you sat around 1 fire and wrapped up, our kids don’t know their born lol

1 Like

even more so when you compare to, say, here in California where we have to be prepared for a no-notice earthquake, so continually able to handle the worst situations. This “beast from the east” was known about for days and yet… people driving… getting stuck… need emergency help… its just dumbness as an output of in general a very easy existence.

A few thoughts come to mind, I keep myself physically strong, i can easily walk out of any situation, many in UK are getting basically FAT and so both trapped by circumstance and reliant on medical care which makes them doubly vulnerable, I basically move with a house on my back with always a meal and water and clothing for the environment so I can handle a bad day, but I see many without such, I see a reliance on reliability, a car culture, I can move in any direction using anything which is moving. Our shared enthusiasm for Anker means I can handle weeks of power outage, but many are stuck in hours if it happened.

I hope this relatively short (week) cold snap makes a new generation toughen up and able to handle better the bad situations. And bad situations are going to get worse due to global warming (a measured fact - thermometers - duh!) so warming seas create more moisture, it will encounter cold air inevitably each winter and so dump its water as snow. No matter how warm the planet gets the north pole due to the planet’s 23deg tilt will always spend months in darkness and get cold so it will be transmitting cold to the northern latitudes during winter and so chilling the air to dump its moisture. So while the average temperatures will increase, and so snow less common, it is a fact that more extreme weather will happen. The UK needs to toughen up and get ready. Better flood defences, better emergency services, better snow ploughs, better water management systems for the summer droughts, etc.

Oh and because of Brexit, you have to do all this with fewer cheap immigrants.

1 Like

Someone on my facebook just asked “What are the roads like in Cardiff? Wondering whether i should go to work” lol.

There’s are some drifts starting because of the wind but lets hope Storm Emma does one, soon!

You are right though, this country is rubbish in this weather. The schools were closed in advance of the storm. Fair enough, I wouldn’t my mrs having to go out in this to put the girls in school. It’s just a case of reducing risk and ensuring no harm comes to them.

I went to work yesterday, its only 4 miles and i went before the roads got bad.
But by 10am, we were told to leave at 11 and come back Monday. Is it just responsible employers or over reacting? Anyhow, the council then set yo work on helping the vulnerable instead of worrying about everyone.

Current snow pics

1 Like

This is a good example of where people need to change. This is near to you.

So bear in mind this weather was predicted, you would have to be totally unplugged to be surprised.

So:

• why did you take the train? I assume it was an urgent essential trip you could not avoid. Fine so…
  • why did you not bring food with you for a long layover?
  • a train keeps the wind out so that’s not the issue but it will basically on the inside end up a little warmer than outside so why did you travel without subzero clothing?
  • if you’re stuck on the train and it cannot move, and here I speak from hundreds of personal experience that humanity is basically at its core very generous and welcoming, did you not get off the train and walk to some house/farm and ask for shelter? A bit of floor in a house would be better. That is just footwear and someone who has a map. A train is not that well insulated but if all the passengers crashed a house they would be warmer.
  • say you were that tiny % who were unplugged surprised, well the other passengers would collectively have excess clothing and food.

You see my inference, dumbness, due to lack of recent similar tough experiences.

If I had been on that train I would have taken charge. There is nil need for anyone to be cold hungry in an island so tiny you’re minutes from help.

This made me :joy: because i can well imagine you doing that :thumbsup:

So close to me (London to Devon)
People are naive and also think they can blame someone else for everything. This will obviously be the train operators fault. Rail services were shut down yesterday afternoon but maybe this one was already enroute so tried to make it.