Battle of charging phones

Found this an interesting read as they pit the one plus 5 phone against other flagship phones and how fast they charge.
There’s also a link inside the article which explains how it’s charge tech works.
Have a read and discuss your thoughts

This is another comparsion which goes deeper still.

It compares in different uses and doesn’t use absolute but relative as each battery has different size so smaller batteries have a built-it % speed advantage and mAh/h is more related to what we use.

OnePlus DASH is one step forwards and one step backwards. Forward is it plain fast. Backwards is it proprietary and if you do not use the supplied cable and charger then its half the speed. The new Power Delivery level can be the basis of DASH in the future if OnePlus chooses to as it allows micro control of the amps and volts to do the what DASH does of sending just the voltage required so there is no DC-DC conversion in the phone which allows high wattage even when phone is being used.

1 Like

Thanks @nigelhealy that’s an even more in depth testing. Much more refined

I like to see the innovation but I despair at the proprietary nature and how we have to suffer with carrying proprietary chargers.

There is no inherent reason why we cannot get an open standard which is both powerful and efficient.

The battery inside the phone has voltage and current demand typically shaped like this:

Where the voltage progressively goes up and the current goes down. To keep the phone as small as possible and to allow to use it while recharging, you ideally want no DC-DC conversion going on inside the phone, it just tells the charger to deliver exactly what it needs, e.g. it wants 3.7V and later it wants 4.1V. The phone adds its own needs (excluding battery) to the battery needs and requests of the charger. This is what DASH does but in a proprietary way.

The newest Power Delivery standard allows for this as the voltage and currently can be micro-controlled with the phone asking exactly what it needs. With Power Delivery upto 100W you can do better than DASH and better than QualComm Quickcharge.

QC4 is very similar to PD.

What Anker can do is also manage the total power budget of its AC-DC, with say being capable of doing 60W and then it has 2 USB-PD ports and gives both devices what they ask within its power budget, e.g. one port can be 60W or two ports 30W each. This is where I see the ideal next step.

I thought we’d be there by now but the current PD devices with the current Anker PD chargers are not doing this.

In my case today I have to pick between a packing two chargers, one DASH for my phone and another is Anker, to charge everything at the fastest possible, or leave the DASH charger at home and accept slower phone charging. I’d like there to be a 3rd option, so I can carry any device, and decide how much Wattage I carry in choice of size of chargers and carry how much spare battery. There is no sign this will happen anytime soon.

Also OnePlus is getting expensive, it was $300 now its $500. Obviously my choices are to either pay it or buy from someone else, what it is causing me to do is skip the OnePlus5T and stick with the OnePlus3T for longer. It is, after all, only a phone.

Given Anker has rolled QC3 into PowerIQ2, it makes the case for my next phone to be QC that bit stronger, but we still lack a IQ2 charger.