Apple Updates Made For iPhone/iPad/iPod (MFi) Licensing Program

While that would be good, I just can’t see Apple dropping proprietary tech yet on their main money maker…look how stubborn they are on the Macbook’s touch bar…

I know it doesn’t seem likely I’ve been trying to find the article I read yesterday that said they were moving to type C I’ll share it here when I do.

Here’s the article I was referring to, you’re right I guess I stopped reading after it says “this year’s iPhone could include USB-C” and wishful thinking took over. It makes sense they would stay with the lightning port proprietary cables and peripherals are apples bread and butter. I heard that the new MacBook will only work with apple USB-C hubs :-1::-1:

1 Like

If they do go that route I can see sales dropping, which will no doubt force a firmware update down the line to reverse…for a company that is supposed to be a market leader and essentially a re-designer of the wheel (in their own mind) with any new release, they sure can be their own worse enemy…

1 Like

The fragility of their new products and unwillingness to do component board repair in favor of swapping whole boards for top dollar has really turned me off to Apple lately and I have a feeling many other feel the same way. It is a shame because they do design elegant desirable products but if their recent trends continue I can see them losing a huge market share.

They will indeed move to usb-c, but only on the other end of their lightning cable. It is currently usb-a to lightning, we can expect finally usb-c to lightning as standard.

Which is still way, way better than sticking with the old usb-a!

1 Like

They might start reversing that trend, more than once they released a flawed design, but they slowly iterated and fixed the flaws.

For example, the bending iPhone 6, they recognized (although never admitted) the issue, and fixed it with the following 6S.

For the MacBooks, they have the data to know that they definitely went way over the board concerning the lack of reliability of their keyboards and MacBooks in general, so we can expect them to silently improve on those issue with the upcoming release. Have no worries, they are motivated enough by the staggering number of under warranty repair/exchange they have to do since they released their butterfly keyboard.

1 Like

That is an option now and currently the only way to achieve fast charging on their new phones. Many other top manufacturers include fast chargers with the devices and do not try to nickel and dime their customers with additional accessories. The next iPhone is reported to ship with the USB-C to lightning cable which should have been included with last year’s model but no word on if it will ship with USB-C fast charging capable power brick…

The keyboard issues on their new MacBooks aside which is no easy fix. I do not believe it should take thousands of customers sending their products back for repair and loss of Revenue to motivate such a large and expensive company to produce reliable products. I believe apples business model is based on planned obsolescence & charging top dollar for accessories and making sure their products will not function with third-party accessories.

I will not be giving that company my money or recommend their products or services to anyone until these problems are addressed.

1 Like

I meant they will move to usb-c cable as standard in the box, not as a separate purchase. And it is guaranteed that they won’t provide a fast charging capable power brick, no way they do that, it will remain a separate purchase (the size only of the brick would make it impractical), however rumors are that they will indeed give us a more powerful brick, from 5W to 12W.

Oic, at least you’ll get a 12watt charger the 5watt was/is laughable. The whole it won’t fit argument is weak, make a larger box and give the people what they payed for.

Although it is better for the battery to charge at a lower current the large battery makes it very inconvenient to do so.

I’m sure you can tell that I have developed a disdain for Apple over the years. They are consistently behind the curve and claim credit for Technologies other companies have released years prior. Everything I’ve witnessed over the last decade tells me that they have found a way to make money for their shareholders with little regard for their customers. I do not see a trend of them improving the reliability of their products in fact quite the opposite. But to each his / her own. I’m afraid Apple has inducted many into their cult of over paying for old technology and trapped customers in their product ecosystem.

I agree about the 5W, it’s ridiculous. I purchased many years ago a few iPad charger blocks (12W), so I never had to bare with the godawful speed of the 5W. Fast charging is only possible with a usb-c to lightning cable and a 29W block, so I must wait until Anker finally release their cable to benefit from it. No way I’m ever buying an Apple cable again.

The cable in the box is the same junk, it will break apart after a few months of use, ergo all my cables are Anker. (although I may understand the motive, they avoid using some compound in the plastic to get a better Greenpeace rating, but what a tremendous waste)

Your disdain for Apple is very obvious, and I am the first one to give them flak whenever they deserve it: 5W charging block, junk cables, new MacBooks reliability, and there are many more. Their products are expensive too, and you need to spend more money to enjoy them thoroughly (Anker cable, bigger charging block, MacBook keyboard cover).

However, once that money is spent, you have in my opinion the best gear money can buy. Credit needs to be given where credit is due, and accusing them of putting old technologies only and always being behind the curve is just plainly wrong.

Just look at the silicon. They are years and years ahead.
They introduced, popularized and improved on countless of features that were never properly implemented before: just look at Touch ID. iPhone users enjoyed a proper and safe fingerprint system for about 2 years before the competition caught up. Same with Face ID now, the competition is nowhere nearby in terms of convenience and security. Who cares if they had to acquire companies in the process, it happens constantly in any industry. Implementation is what matters.
They had the best cameras for years, although now competition caught up and one year they will be marginally better, one year they will be marginally worse.
For years they used state of the art lcd panels in terms of color gamut, accuracy, etc.

And of course, absolutely nobody beats them in terms of long term support (who else still releases updates for a 2012 phone?), security, and overall package.

Credit where credit is due my friend!

1 Like

The first phone with a fingerprint scanner was Pantech GI100 which was launched in 2004

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-first-phone-to-have-a-fingerprint-scanner

The iPhone 5S was released about 8 months before Samsung Galaxy S5 not two years

iPhone 5s September 20, 2013
Galaxy S5 April 11, 2014

Touch Bar is cool I’ll give you that one.

Face ID is cool but again Samsung beat Apple with Iris scanner and both use almost identical technology probably made by Samsung.

Note 7 August 19th 2016
iPhone x November 2017

As for camera quality that is debatable really depends on preference. But my old Note 3 was able to shoot 4K videos
In 2013 Two years ahead of iPhone 6s

The screens Apple uses are manufactured by Samsung as are the majority of the internal components.

Running the new iOS on 6 year old phones only serves to slow them down and force an upgrade where as I was able to update my Note 3 to Android 7.1 and it runs like a top.

Apple gear is more of a status symbol. Equally powerful equipment can be had for about half the price.

Let’s agree to disagree.

I’m glad that you are happy with your experience with Apple but I cannot in good conscience recommend or use any of their products currently.

2 Likes

Either you misread me, either I didn’t make my point clear enough.

Nowhere did I say that they were often the first at releasing new tech. I said that they were often the first at releasing properly implemented new tech. In case of fingerprint, they were the first to release an actually secure and convenient solution, and it did take about two years for the competition to catch up. I mean, come on, have you ever seen a S5 in the wild? I had a friend with one, I can guarantee you that there was just no comparison. Unless you get the perfect position, it’s a miss, no room for error. And are you even seriously bringing that Pantech in the comparison? If it was even remotely pertinent why did we have to wait until after the 5S to see every constructor scrambling to bring their own version of a fingerprint scanner? Because until the 5S it was just unusable.

Alright, so if both are almost identical technologies, then why one can be used for authenticating payment and the other no? Because one is actually secure enough, while the other isn’t. To me it seems like Samsung is always scrambling to be the first to get features that will be great to advertise, but doesn’t take enough time to think it through. That time when they added this feature to scroll a page with your eyes is a perfect example. It’s like they will throw anything and see what sticks.

As I said, camera quality is now a toss of coins. With the edge on the Pixel 2 for now. But I think being able to shot in 4K is still as of today barely relevant. Good to have, but irrelevant to judge the quality of a camera, just like having a lower pixel count doesn’t mean a worse picture, it has been proved time and time again.

Maybe not the majority, but a good chunk of it, that’s true.

Samsung still support the Note 3?? Or did you have to install Android Vanilla? No way this phone is still supported by Samsung. Agreed on the slow down issue, but it is solved by a battery swap (30$). As a general rule, past 2 years, only iPhones are still supported with new updates, and even a grandma can install those updates. No technical skills required.

Come on… Look at some benchmark… it’s been years now that Apple’s silicon is blowing the competition out of the water, everyone just admits it but you… I am the first to admit that just like for the camera, it doesn’t really matter anymore, we have way more power than we need, but saying that any phone comes close to the iPhone in terms of power is just plain wrong. They are barely reaching last year

Agree to disagree! I am very happy that you are still enjoying your Note 3. I hope I didn’t look like I was dissing anything non Apple, I love all tech and I have no problem acknowledging the prowess of each constructor. And the better the competition get, the better it is for the market in general!

Like I said let’s agree to disagree. Have a good weekend.

2 Likes

Same! Enjoy your day.

Will do bud

1 Like

When can we expect the usb-c to lightning cables? The standard is open for a couple of months now and the cables by Apple are just terrible

Not saying I recommend it, but just FYI, Apple’s USB-C to Lightning cable is much better built and durable than the regular cable.

Update: We likely won’t be seeing USB-C to Lightning cables from Anker until next year…

Source

1 Like

That’s good news. Proprietary is not just a rip-off but also not user friendly. What’s better than be able to use a friends charger when visiting instead of having to take your own stuff with you.