Apple is looking to eliminate or change the lightning connector

According to This
Apple is looking to change the lightning connector, how do you feel about this change?

1 Like

Yay, the possibility of another dongle required for a proprietary connection on older phones :rolling_eyes:

Thought that Apple might have wised up when it came to changing it’s connector and move to USB-C (or even go full wireless) but then again they wouldn’t hit the trillion dollar value mark if they did :grin:

6 Likes

Yeah it boggles my mind that they still decide to go against industry standard and do their own thing. They switched to USB c on their Mac Books so why not with their phone. They need to stop being money hungry and do what users want

Interesting, so a waterproof wedge shaped lightning connector! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Apple is difficult to change.

So just change within and don’t buy their overpriced products.

1 Like

Well this rumour has been there ever since the usb-c MacBooks came out but I doubt they will change anytime soon, as they have invested so much on lightning port and was intended to reduce the space needed and digital compatibility.

I was actually excited about the Lightning connector when it first came out because I was so fed up with never being able to plug in a Micro USB cable correctly the first time. I love the reversible design! I have Lightning cables throughout my house so I’m not crazy about the idea of needing to replace them.

2 Likes

Let’s hope it fails and we never get to see this.

Anyone ever spilt stuff on their iPhone when charging???
Over engineered rubbish really :joy:

Dumb dumb dumb if you want to charge while sitting in the bath tub Why not just update the lighting cable with a rubber gasket to seal out water and debris.

1 Like

Apple files patents all the time and not all of them come to market. That said, this does seem to be a technologically interesting solution.

Just move to USB-C, that would be a dream…and the reason it is a dream rather than a far reality is apple will never ever make their charging port non-proprietary because their lightning port makes them so much money

1 Like

Le sigh, Apple change their connection ports more often than Kardashians change boyfriends and husbands, i am quite fed up of buying expensive adapters just to be able to use my stuff.

1 Like

Apple will do their own thing. If they choose to change, I’ll deal with it. For now it won’t matter to us. We are about to buy new iphones and ipads (we don’t upgrade every year or 2).

If they do change I hope its to USB-C.

I TOTALLY agree with you. Just when I’ve settled into the “Lightning” cable ecosystem. :unamused:

1 Like

Whatever they choose, I hope it’s as robust a design as the Lightning port and connector. Micro-USB is no where near as robust. Most of my micro-USB plugs and ports get looser with wear over time. Lightning stays solid.
Hopefully USB-C will prove to be at least as robust as Lightning. The central fin doesn’t fill me with hope, unfortunately.

1 Like

I wish they bring analog audio out (likely not happening). I love the analog audio out from 30 pin connector.

DEfinitely usb-c. It’s time for Apple to join the rest of us.