Anker's Safety Measures in Action!

I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF, NOR AM I RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DO!

I had an interesting experience with the Anker Powerdrive today. A person I know has a lightning cable (by Apple) that has been shorted. The positive touching the negative on this cable. No joke. Seriously. Knowing it was a faulty cable, I let them plug it in. I expected a fuse to blow or something to get fried.

I was using this car charger:

When plugged in and the leads were touched, instead of something catastrophic, the Anker car charger simply cut all output. The light on the unit when off when the leads were touching, and turned back on when it wasn’t being shorted out. After abusing the car charger by repeating this process about 6-8 times, I decided it had had enough abuse. I unplugged both the lightning cable as well as the car charger. When the faulty lighting cable was plugged in, the Anker turned off. When it was unplugged, the Anker worked as expected.

Being daring, I decided to plug my iPhone 7 into the car charger with a non-damaged cable after blatantly and relentlessly shorting out the Anker car charger. It charged just like normal. The Anker knew the difference between the shorted cable and the non-damaged cable dispite the fact that the short was localized.

I have no clue what technology is implemented in this charger to not die when shorted out many times for an extended period of time, but it’s pretty neat.

7 Likes

Some nice testing going on there :point_up_2:

1 Like

Maybe you should be Anker new torture test reviewer.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am honestly surprised that it held up so nice.

One quick question: Is the output power of the charger the same both before and after the shorted cable was tested?

The safety measures may prevent visible damage to the charger, and it still may charge, but I wonder if the charger limits future power output to devices, to prevent future damage (if there was any in the first place). If you don’t have a way to test this, that’s fine- I was just curious. :wink:

-PaperAirplaneGuru

Although I do not have a way to test it with a meter, the output amperage remained 2 amps at 5 volts.

Can it do more than 2 amps? I do not know because my phone only charges to 2 amps.

In the Amazon description, it says that the charger can output 4.8 Amps total, making 2.4 amps per port… So that’s a yes. (Also, some phone manufacturers say 2 amps when they mean 2.4 amps… I don’t know why.)

That is pretty cool that the amperage and voltage remained the same. Anker’s stuff for sure is pretty damage proof- just ask my LC40 Rechargeable flashlight, (https://www.anker.com/products/variant/bolder-lc40-flashlight/T1423011) that somehow fell off a ledge, hit the ground, and rolled into the pool. After diving down to get it and drying it off in front of a fan, it worked flawlessly. Since that happened, however, the flashlight no longer gets warm when it has been on for a few minutes. I wonder why? :confused:

Anyway, Anker stuff can withstand pretty much anything, from drops to accidental diving sessions. Just don’t do it regularly!

1 Like

It’s water cooled!

/s

2 Likes

hehe nice testing but you have more guts then I do for sure

1 Like

Lol good one

Grate Testing! also I have no clue how that happend

It doesn’t surprise me what you experienced, anker touts multi stage protection and now you have proof of their claims. Kudos to the technology behind their products and to Anker