Anker Soundcore Spirit Pro review

The Anker Soundcore Spirit Pro is yet another offering in Anker’s newest line in the Wireless Bluetooth Headset category. They feature a couple of notable steps up from the Soundcore Spirit & Soundcore Spirit X models as well as a step down from these (and other models) which could potentially cause confusion when comparing them to other models. These differences (as far as I could tell) are:

Step-up from lower-end Soundcore Spirit & Soundcore Spirit X:

1. Built-in “Dual-EQ” which consists of two different sound settings, mostly affecting the bass end of the audio spectrum, available on the headset itself with no external app required to implement. This feature has two settings, one seemingly “flat” (no EQ) while the other setting seems to be the headset’s equivalent to Anker’s BassUp technology used on it’s newer Soundcore line of speakers.

2. Built-in aptX High-Fidelity sound (compatible with Android devices only)

Step down:

1. Bluetooth 4.2 (Anker’s other “lower-end” Soundcore models use Bluetooth 5.0)

2. Not necessarily a step down but I though I’d mention it as it may deter some from going water-happy…the micro-USB charging port on the control pod does not contain a built-in water sealing flap which apparently is not needed on this model but is on the others(?). This new design is still considered to be at least IPX7 rated. Still, I would feel more comfortable having a physical rubber flap covering the exposed charging port rather than nothing.

Packaging and Contents

Packaging is Anker’s typical classy Black/Blue/White and shows some extra attention to detail in that the front flap (which opens to reveal the product behind clear plastic) is actually held shut/flush to the front of the box with two embedded magnets in the packaging. Something I wasn’t expecting but little things like this show some care and detail behind even the packaging design. Everything was packaged well and fully protected from your typical shipping and handling bumps and knocks.

The package contents includes:
Soundcore Spirit Pro
S/M/L EarTips
S/M/L EarWings
cable clip
shirt clip
micro USB cable
Carrying pouch with spring-snap closure
User Guide
Anker’s worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.

Review

The Spirit Pro’s standard installed EarWings and EarTips fit me just fine
so I saw no need to experiment with the other sizes that are included. That being said, the variety of sizes of EarWings and EarTips should create a match for almost anybody’s ears for a great fit. Note that this headset is not the earloop type so if you’re looking for extra-strength hold, these may not cut it for you and you may want to look at the Soundcore Spirit X instead.

The headset came pretty much fully charged out of the box so I did test before charging them fully awhile later in which they took approx. 20 minutes or so to show a full charge. A full charge will apparently yield you 10 hours of play time which I was not able to test fully yet…10 hours is a very long time for me to be
listening to music.

Pairing was trouble free using a MacBook Pro (late 2011 running OS X El Capitan 10.11), an iPhone 5s and an iPad mini 4, (both running iOS 9.3.5…yes, admittedly old devices and old OS’s but they all work fine so I ain’t fixing what ain’t broken). Bluetooth connectivity was solid and I had no drops within a reasonable distance between the device and the headset. If you’re curious about why no Bluetooth 5 inclusion, welcome to the club. Many of these newer Bluetooth headsets are still using older Bluetooth hardware for unknown reasons. Cost? The Spirit Pro is the higher-end Soundcore headset demanding a $10 premium over both the Spirit and the Spirit X yet both of those use the newest Bluetooth 5…the Spirit Pro is still on Bluetooth 4.2. Go figure.

Sound quality was excellent for 6mm diameter drivers with more than enough bass for my personal taste. The new Dual-EQ feature helps to pump a bit more extra bass out of the headset without getting too boomy. Dual-EQ is enabled by pressing and holding both the top volume + and the middle Play (>) button for ~1 seconds. A tone will be heard through the headset, signaling the feature is enabled. Disabling it works in the same way. Like I mentioned, there’s more than enough bass for me, even without the Dual-EQ but others may possibly find it inadequate. The mids and highs seem to be well balanced. I think it’s a great sound without any additional EQ applied to the audio.

The control pod itself now has buttons that are rubber covered with a (seemingly) single piece of rubber rather than individual buttons that are internally sealed. While this seems to be a better type of seal, it causes the buttons to feel a bit less “clicky” and less tactile. This rubber piece does however have aggressively molded “+” “>” and “-” symbols for each of the three buttons and are quite easy to tell apart by feel. The pod worked well as far as button presses went regardless of the different feel of the new buttons. The charge port as I mentioned at the beginning no longer has a rubber seal/flap covering it, yet it’s still IPX7 rated as well as being SweatGuarded by Anker’s technology consisting of an “impermeable hydro-seal that coats and defends the USB port, internal circuitry, and other hardware from liquid corrosion and short circuits”. Go ahead and dunk them anywhere you can dunk yourself…they should be just fine.

This is another great Bluetooth wireless headset by Anker, likely my favorite between the Soundbuds Slim+ and the Soundcore Spirit X that I also own but the omission of Bluetooth 5 (even if it doesn’t affect your devices as of yet) is a headscratcher. Regardless of this curious omission and as stated, this is a great sounding and comfortable wireless headset.

Addendum

After testing some more and playing a few games and really paying attention to the Bluetooth delay factor, sorry to say that I have found the Bluetooth audio delay to be abysmal for the Spirit Pro.

Here are the approximate delay times (on iOS, using an iPad mini 4 and iPhone 5s; the elapsed time when a key is pressed on the virtual keyboard until when the sound is heard) for all of the wireless Bluetooth headphones I have:

Anker Soundbuds Slim +: ~.5 second
Anker Soundcore Spirit X: ~.25 second (negligible)
Anker Soundcore Spirit Pro: ~1.5 seconds (!)

If you’ll just be listening to music with the Spirit Pro, they are fine. If you’ll be playing games or videos where audio sync is important, maybe look elsewhere.

Note that I tried multiple times to delete the pairing to all devices, reset Bluetooth on the headphones (connect to charger, press and hold “+” together with “>”) to get the delay to be tolerable but nothing I did would diminish the delay.

Just telling it like it is…no sugar coating.

8 Likes

Great review…I hate how those controls look horrible and hard to press exactly the right button just by grabbing it. They really need to make the plus and minus buttons raised or have the central play button raised higher than the other two

1 Like

Excellent review @SZak2015 , thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I agree with others, not feeling the love for the new button design, either volume or the play button needs raised to help you distinguish them quicker…

1 Like

great review! good job! :blush:

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial Yes, serious headscratcher on 5.0 drop to 4.2. 5.0 offers longer range and less power consumption. It should have been a no brainer to put 5.0 in new devices. There are also other advantages to 5.0.

1 Like

About that… On my original Soundbuds slim, I had the same issue. Fed up with it, I heated up my soldering iron and pressed a nice circle-shaped “divit” into the volume up button- Now I can feel the buttons with ease. Still wouldn’t recommend doing that, though.

Hey @AnkerOfficial, feel free to use my soldering iron technique. It works great.

1 Like

I already delivered your feedback to our product manager, we will optimize the feature in the future generation.:innocent:

1 Like

Great review. Mine is going to arrive in a few days. Can’t wait to try :slight_smile:

Excellent review! Thanks for posting.

Addendum

After testing some more and playing a few games and really paying attention to the Bluetooth delay factor, sorry to say that I have found the Bluetooth audio delay to be abysmal for the Spirit Pro.

Here are the approximate delay times (on iOS, using an iPad mini 4 and iPhone 5s; the elapsed time when a key is pressed on the virtual keyboard until when the sound is heard) for all of the wireless Bluetooth headphones I have:

Anker Soundbuds Slim +: ~.5 second
Anker Soundcore Spirit X: ~.25 second (negligible)
Anker Soundcore Spirit Pro: ~1.5 seconds (!)

If you’ll just be listening to music with the Spirit Pro, they are fine. If you’ll be playing games or videos where audio sync is important, maybe look elsewhere.

Note that I tried multiple times to delete the pairing to all devices, reset Bluetooth on the headphones (connect to charger, press and hold “+” together with “>”) to get the delay to be tolerable but nothing I did would diminish the delay.

Just telling it like it is…no sugar coating.

Have you considered the additional delay may be due to the audio codec in use? I have confirmed that, in addition to Aptx, and fallback SBC, the Spirit Pro is also compatible with AAC— which I believe Apple devices use by default. This codec is also notorious for high latency with Bluetooth audio. Your tests should be repeated with SBC for Apple devices, which presumably the cheaper headsets are using. Ideally though, the comparison tests should be run with something Aptx compatible, IE. Android or other Qualcomm based device. That is, after all, one of the big feature bumps!!

Great review and photos @SZak2015 :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for this informative review!

1 Like

For my own use personally, I’m not actually feeling the button shape or height itself to find it but rather the order which helps me locate the correct button. As long as I find the topmost button (which is +) on the control pod, locating the others in the button row (> -) is not an issue.

Does these pauses the music when you put them together on their magnets? I’m looking to buy a pair !!

Great review!!!

Sorry to say that they do not pause the music (or anything else for that matter) when they are stuck together magnetically.

@AnkerSupport @AnkerOfficial I just received my Spirit Pro. I have been using the Spirit for a while, when I saw it available in Amazon I immediately ordered it expecting it to be a better version also wanted the AptX support which I have been missing. But I just found out that I cannot multi pair it with my phone and my laptop. I usually listen to music on my phone, and whenever I have an incoming skype or other call for work purposes, I just turn off the music but pick up the call. In the spirit it works seamlessly with multipoint pairing. This does not seem to support multipoint? If that’s the case, can you confirm so that I can return this.

You could contact our customer support team to confirm this.
Send email to support@anker.com

In order to pair two devices you need to have bluetooth 5.0, which the pros do not have which is why it can only pair to one device at a time