Anker SounCore Boost.....poor built in microphone

Hi,

Just got hold of my SoundCore boost and I thought I’d see how everyone was getting on with the built in microphone?

Mine appears to be terrible, on calls people can’t hear me properly and I have to switch back to my phone so they can hear me.

I’m really happy with it from a speaker point of view but it’s pretty much useless for calls. I bought it primarily as a speaker for music so I’m not interested in returning it. Just would have been good to use for the odd call now and again.

Anyone else experiencing issues?

Thanks, Andy.

1 Like

Had the Boost for a month or two now but have not got around to doing a thorough review (and strangely have never had a go at using the mic)…will give it a whirl tonight to see if I notice any issues compared to the other speakers in the SoundCore range I have…

1 Like

I’ve had mine for a couple of days now and mostly been testing it with music and movies. I’ll give it a test with a couple of calls and let you know how it goes.

I had this problem with the original SoundCore I used it to ring a company up and they said they could barely hear me and soon as I switched to my phone they said they could hear me clearly.

1 Like

Great, thanks and let me know how you go on. There’s nothing on it that seems to indicate microphone location so I presume it’s in a crap position or behind something like the mesh.

1 Like

Anyone managed to test their mic yet? On another thread AnkerOfficial said you need to be within 60cm of the speaker for the mic to pic you up…seems pointless having one if thats the case.

Tried it this morning (on a day off :smile:) and yes the range of the mic is rather poor for those on the other end.

50-60cm seemed to be the sweet spot for those on the other end of the line to hear without word or volume drops. Not gonna beat an Echo or HomePod anytime soon for the range but it works well for round the table conference calls (just don’t get up for a coffee and expect them to still hear you on the other end)

2 Likes

I think the Boost is primarily a media consumption device. I love using mine while watching netflix or partying outside, but it wouldn’t be my go-to in terms of phone calls. I usually use soundbuds curve for that.

2 Likes

I had mine sat on the desk in from of me and the other person couldn’t hear me properly. Shame really as it would be really useful.

95% of time though it’s going to be used as a speaker for music so it’s not really a problem. As suggested I’ll just use my soundbuds instead…no call issues with those.

1 Like

@ryandhazen I was testing mine out with a walk among the tombstones on Prime video and it was like having a miniature surround system on my iPad Pro you could literally hear the bullets whizzing past you which I thought was pretty cool!

2 Likes