Anker PowerPort II not charging 2017 MacBook Pro

I bought the Anker PowerPort II and so far it works great as a basic charger, however, I have noticed a few issues with it.

I’ve tried charging my 2017 MacBook pro with this plug and a usb c to usb c as well as a usb a to usb c and it only seems to maintain the charge rather than giving it any juice. I used the apple brand usb c to usb c and a third party (not anker) usb a to usb c.

I’ve also noticed when charging my Iphone 8+ with a third party usb a to lightning meter long cord, the charge isnt exactly fast. When I use an apple brand usb a to lightning cord I don’t seem to have this issue.

Any thoughts?

The Powerport II only puts out 30watts to the type C port and depending on which size MacBook you have this is only enough to maintain the charge when using the laptop
But more than enough for phones.

Anker has other charger that are better suited to charging you MacBook like the Anker USB C with Power Delivery 60W Wall Charger, PowerPort Speed 1

Not sure about your other issue, I do not have a Powerport II. But i suspect it is because you are not using an apple certified cable. Apple is the only company that currently makes certified type c to lightning cables…:-1: This should change soon though with the release of the new iPhones Apple will start to allow certified third party type c to lightning cables.

2 Likes

According to apple support, the macbook pro is listed to require a 61W PD usb C to C charger. The Powerport II with power delivery on this site states its up to 30W. This would probably explain why you maintain power but not charge during use.

The iPhone 8+ is capable of using an apple fast charging through the PD port (this would work faster solely based on power delivery). I do not know much about the 8 series, but the article below looks to indicate you would need a USB-C to lightning in order to fast charge your phone. Hope this helps

2 Likes