Anker Powerline Cable Series Comparisons - II, +II, III, and +III

For just regular use- then yes.

If you try to go mountain climbing with the cable then they probably won’t replace it :laughing:

But you can tow a car!

1 Like
  1. I’ve have seen he Lighting PowerLine + III for about 5 months and I have no fraying what so ever with my cable and it’s still holding up very well compared to a apple cable over 5 months.

2. and 3. wouldn’t really say my Lighting PowerLine II broke but over about about 9 months of a lot of usage and then it was at the point where it had to be held in a certain position to charge rather than just plugging it in, so obviously that’s a issue.

After contacting customer i received a replacement And the replaced has worked very well for me.

They work well. I can bet buying a Anker a cable is a lot more worth while then buying a cable made by the device manufacturer.

What would you recommend for an Apple iPhone XS Max in regards to A-lightning cables? At the current moment, I am not looking to purchase any additional accessories other than the cables, such as wall chargers, USB-PD, and the like. When I am not utilizing fully-optimized charging setups, do you think the length of the cable matters?

Yes length matters. Imo 6ft or under is still good.

I assume you want lifetime warranty on the cable.

Do you care about it being thinner (that way it is more flexible and less rigid)?

I have been weighing this decision the moment I noticed it. Whether a cable is thicker or thinner never bothered me because… well, I tend to use products through the thick of things until it’s run down, and I do not know what kind of a difference it makes. I can imagine the thicker cables being more obnoxious to deal with, but then again, more flexibility might equate to the higher risk of it breaking.

Actually the more flexible cables are more durable. The downfall is that they are more expensive.

Taking into account the lifetime warranties that are packaged into the deal of these Anker Powerline cables, it’s difficult to single one out. That being said, I will note professor’s suggestion was good: to choose a cheaper alternative with its optimal charging capacity for the specific device because all the said options have lifetime warranties. But…

Currently, my main concerns are (in ascending order of importance):

1. Nyalon-braided cables (+) vs thermoplastic rubber cables (non-+). Though I worry about the rubber cables fraying and breaking from bends, I also worry that the braided cables will stain (discolor–which would be much more difficult to remove from braided cables than rubber cables) and fibers undoing themselves (fraying plus sharp and pointy things getting caught on it).
  2. Length. How much of a difference does a 3ft and 6ft make from a 10ft? Does the resistance make a notable difference?
  3. Thickness. Quality-of-life use with the varying level of flexibility and the insulation of charging in thicker vs. thinner cables.

Addressing all of these concerns may be difficult, but these are the factors that are keeping me from honing down on a single Anker Powerline product.

1 Like

When i first saw the range of cables on offer it blew my mind, lots of similar cables bit small differences at similar price.

1 Like

Someone has to find if the phone is capable of hitting the limit of the charger+cable combination. E.g. a charger 18W but a short new good brand cable showed never more than say 15W then the cable is much less important, but if the same test showed 18W then yes a longer cable would be slower and you’d then have an argument to get the thickest cable which would then be more expensive.

So it’s an it depends and need people to measure.

Ask someone with that phone and a USB meter.

The cable matters in some contexts more than others, if you’re in a situation of needing the fastest possible charge and you know the charger and device can fully be utilised, then the cable matters. Most of the time, it doesn’t matter so why I keep saying but the cheapest cable and measure performance in the context it matters.

I think Anker Powerline cables are getting over-engineered. The long cables tend to stay at home, so barely get bent, say you used the cable 4 times/day, each 2 bend, the 35,000 bends test means the cable lasts 4375 days, 12 years. You need for that port won’t last 12 years.

Right, volts is important. I thought I made the edit to say that the 45W was from the C it’s 60w overall, but it seemed as if he just needed a good iPhone charger since I have one I went with my set up. So, in this case, the referencing volts is unnecessary because I know the device.

1 Like

Yes. Pretty much always replaced, unless you purposely mess it up! lol If you are looking for a cable to charge an iPhone, the best option by far is the lightning - C cable, which I believe does not have all those confusing types. 3ft will be fine for everyday on the go use and at home, 6ft is ok too but for home only really and anything over 6ft is a waste. Again like @professor said find the one that fits your budget, like the One I have. I also have the 6ft one for the house.

There is an argument to buy 60W charger in that the day it ends up in a draw unused is later. I own 5 18W ports, chances are most/all end up in a draw when the minimum I need is 30W. I’d just not pay more a few $ for it as it could end up in a draw anyway for reasons we can’t foresee.

I am annoyed with Apple, selling a phone with a charger, one which isn’t the fastest the phone can handle, it is simply casing landfill.

1 Like

That makes sense @professor
If you can afford it get the best and latest you can at the time.
Buying last years model this years means one year less you will be likely to have it for.
If the budget is tight or you are in need quickly of course.

So this is, again, an it depends. So take the UK today, a snapshot, a different day would be different set of costs.

This charger, 18W PD C+ 12W A, £15.

This, two 18W PD image

This 45W PD + 15W, £45

This 30W + 18.5W, £26

This 30W £17

The one most likely to become in a draw unused is the 18W PD one, but for £2 saving, the 30W one would become useless later as its only when no 30W devices in use does it get useless.

Seeing as I own 3 already of the 18W+12W, if I needed another 18W port, what’s the logical thing to buy next? The 18W+12W won’t disappear, they all in use today as 18W is a common need, but why pay more £ for no real gain?

1 Like

I own a 60w for powering my laptop and beyond. So no need to make the argument lol. Those little 18w things are cool, but for me I almost always want more than one port especially one style of port, saves on outlets. The reason I have the 45w Pd with 15 A charger is because of Anker’s 10000 PD, the first one with C out, they said their other charger, that I already owned, would charge it but it wouldn’t so they sent me the upgrade. #useankerinstead. As far as bare basic iPhone charge it quick, yes that little 18w with a 3ft C cable will do just fine. As for the pricing, that’s a total toss-up always. That’s why I use Honey and set things I really want to my drop list so I know when they go on sale.

1 Like

Great list, well done compiling that.
£15 is too cheap to turn down. If you need more power in a years time hopefully the other listed will have become cheaper as even more higher power models come out.
And as these things go, they will always end up getting used.

Did the guy ever decided what to get?

1 Like

Would you say you’ve experienced any issues with the Powerline + III’s external material itself–the nyalon-braided fiber? I’m curious on how it holds: the fraying, discoloration, staining, bends, etc.

I suppose this includes the Powerline + II as well if you have it.

When it comes down to making long-term purchase decisions, I tend to become quite indecisive. I initially stood firm saying I find no need to make the USB-A to USB-C switch because everything I own and almost everyone I know use USB-A ports than USB-C–which will become a standalone product in comparison to what I already own like wall chargers, plugs, laptops, etc.
But in the grander scheme of things, not considering the advances in technology and its slow progression in switching to the industry standard–USB-C–will be short sighted, so making this conversion now might be the wise move to go for.
I am trying to understand at least a little of what you guys are sharing regarding electricity and energy consumption. But as an average customer, though all this jargon about watts, voltages, and amperage are insightful, these basic cable characteristics of material type, length, and whatnot are what I’m primarily concerned about because if I can’t figure that out…well, I’ll be stooped.
Truthfully, I am not terribly concerned about the cost as it will be a long-term investment, but honestly this will be doing a disservice to myself because then I have many more options of cables to become muddled in–adding fire onto the indecisiveness.