Anker PowerExtend 12 Outlet Powerstrip Review - w/Best Features vs. Worst Features

Throw away all other power strips! Well, maybe don’t throw them out until you buy enough Anker PowerExtend 12 Strips to replace them! I can honestly say that this power strip is better than any others that I’ve used.

So, let’s talk about how I tested this product.

First, I used it for “regular” everyday purposes. I plugged and unplugged all of your typical devices, including: different laptops, phone chargers, an Anker PowerCore 10,000 and other various household electronics. During this use for a few days, the strip was located behind our couch. Instead of having to constantly swap plugs in the two wall outlets, we never ran out of places to plug things in!

Second, I used the power strip on my precious saltwater fishtank! Unfortunately I didn’t get a good shot of the strip in use because it was located in the underneath cabinet, which is very dark. However, here’s a picture of my fishtank operating anyway! Ultimately, for reasons I’ll explain below, I didn’t end up keeping it here, because it was not its best application.

Lastly, I tested it where it would ultimately be kept: our entertainment center. Now, at any given time, there are at least 8 different devices that need to be plugged in (and that’s not to mention any temporary plug ins that go in when people stay over or if i add new devices). Prior to using the Anker PowerExtend, my setup looked like the first picture in this bunch. I was using an old power strip (without a surge protector) + a cheap extension cable that gave me 2 more 2-prong outlets to use. It was awful. Now, I’m not saying it looks perfect in my “after” picture (I need to do some more cable management) but it definitley looks better! Plus, Im confident that my stuff is safer due to the dual surge protection.

Now, let me summarize by giving a list of the products best features, followed by some that need improvement/are missing.

Best Features:

• Design. The look of this product is great. Some may say that white will get dirty easier, but the matte finish will help with that and prevent smudging.

• TWELVE OUTLETS. This one may be obvious, but it’s hard to imagine you have a setup or need that will require more than 12 outlets!

• Flat Plug. This one cannot be understated. There is nothing worse than plugging a power strip or extension cord in behind a dresser or some other furniture only to find out you can’t push the furniture all the way flush with the wall again because of the plug. That won’t be an issue here! The plug lays flat against the outlet with the cable running off the side.

• The cable material. The cable itself is not plastic-y and hard to manage. Instead, it’s a nice, soft, rubbery texture that’s easily manipulated into whatever position you need it to be.

• Rubber feet/mouting bracket. Wherever you plan to position the strip, it will work! it has convenient mounting brackets to put it on some screws in the wall. Alternatively, you can just leave it out on a smooth surface and trust that the rubber feet will keep it in place!

• Position of the outlets. In most power strips, the outlets are all facing the same directions. Now, some new ones have tried to solve that by putting rotating outlets in; but those are difficult and cheap. Anker solved this by giving you one row of vertical-facing outlets and two rows of horizontal-facing outlets. It would be hard to encounter a problem where you can’t fit your plug somewhere on this strip.

Areas of improvement:

• Weight. I’m not saying that this device needs to be heavier. however, when you hold it, or tap it, you can tell there’s a lot of empty space inside. For me, that makes it feel a bit cheaper. It’s not a big deal, and I’m not complaining about the size (need some space for all those outlets), but the weight definitely feels off.

• Not a smart strip. This product is not advertised as being a smart product. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Anker announced that they were developing one. However, I just think that’s a cool feature and one I’d pay extra for. The reason I didn’t use this on my fishtank is because I currently have a smart strip for my tank. It’s helpful to be able to go on my phone or tell alexa to turn something specific on or off. The strip lets you name each outlet. So, when I’m cleaning the tank I can say “Alexa, turn off the pump” and it turns off! The PowerExtend strip doesn’t have this functionality. That’s not a bad thing, because most of the time you won’t need that. However, i would love to see this feature added.

• Price. This product is currently on amazon for $27.99. To me, that seems a bit hefty for a non-smart power strip. It’s obviously high quality, you can plug 12 things into it, it comes with an 18 month limited warranty, and you can trust Anker. However, I think the $18-$20 range would have been more reasonable for this product. (as a note, that cost perception might just be me upset that it’s that pricey in a world of smart products for similar prices. I bought my smart strip for $30-something.).

Overall, I’m really happy with this product and I’m confident it will continue to be useful for years to come. It’s confirmed Anker’s quality to me once again and I’m glad I was able to serve as a tester!

Huge thank you to @AnkerOfficial or giving me this product for testing and review purposes. I loved testing it and hope to do more testing in the future!

Check out my reviews on:

FB: https://www.facebook.com/john.riordan.7169/posts/2820414734847282?cft[0]=AZU8ptgaWaMfGFebXX_rr5mkQlBJx5WtW5MLEIPbQejenyQq5nWCTLtdfgdtXt5Mj_RM0w1ottWzo61S08BzBq3uD2NsAaeSdI_BVzNRvsBvQeMoyBWCBlpZvd-caVObOeg&tn=%2CO%2CP-R

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEZrXZFFwIAHPCzOkRCkuolWmKOWoUPteNJh1Y0/?igshid=oyebphnig4go

#UseAnkerInstead #WeLoveTesting #TestingClub #Anker

6 Likes

Nice review there, great detailed pics @jriordan94 :clap:

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s my first! I’ve always wanted to be a products tester but have never gotten anything complimentary. Anker made that a reality for me, which is really cool.

1 Like

Keep up the good work, there is one more for testing, submit your review link on the “we love testing” and apply for Astro :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome review and great photos! Well done! :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Love this community.

2 Likes

Great review @jriordan94 great photos too.

1 Like

Beautiful fish tank :heart_eyes: and we’ll written review :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah I think I’m ready for a bigger tank, but not til I move into a bigger place. Once I have the bigger tank I’ll definitley utilize the 12 outlets on that strip! haha

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the feedback!

1 Like

If you get a bigger fishtank make sure to upload a picture so I can see it lol

1 Like

Will do! We’re trying to move into a bigger place in the next 6 months or so. If we do, the first thing on my list is a bigger tank!

1 Like

That’s awesome, good luck :+1:

1 Like

Nice review there @jriordan94. Hope you enjoy the strip and your time here. Good luck with future We Love Testing opportunities too :+1:

1 Like

Really good review you wrote.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it!

1 Like

Thank you and you’re welcome!

1 Like

You too!
Stay here and enjoy! :laughing:

1 Like