Anker PowerExpand 12-in-1 USB-C PD Media Dock Review (MacBook M1 Owners - Read!)

Too bad Anker support couldn’t help you out

3 Likes

After some effort I got the dock flashed using the firmware Anker provided. The Firmware appeared to install correctly, however the end result is that it did not resolve the issue. Again, for sanity sake, I tested two M1 Macs, and even different HDMI, power and 3.1 cables, all combos exhibit same incorrect behaviour (Have to leave PD disconnected.)

I’m disappointed, but its time to look elsewhere for a reliable dock. Without PD, the dock draws its power from the macbook and eats the battery up so I’m not prepared to do that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you the product you need

1 Like

I was wondering, if you have heard back from Anker? I have a M1 MacBook Pro and this Dock aswell. Aside from the display problem, I am experiencing problems with the ethernet connection. Almost everytime transfer lots of files over the network, the connection freezes. Did you use the 60w power-supply?

1 Like

Based on the last discussion I had I was left with the impression that there would ultimately be no solution anytime soon, if ever.

I tried with the provided power supply.

My hopes are that we’ll start seeing USB4 docks soon.

My hope is laptop designers grow into long trousers and stop making computers with so few ports that none need to buy hubs soon.

Hubs are inherently a bad idea as they represent a single point of failure external to the testing of the computer customer service.

As change begins from within, we all can work to shun few-port computers.

Blaming Anker for the computer designer and the consumer mistakes will do diddly squat. It’s like blaming the tire for a three wheel car falling over.

Whether a laptop has 2 ports or 10 ports is irrelevant. The appeal of docks is to minimize the number of wires connected. One cable to rule them all is exactly what I want when I sit at my desk for Power Delivery, Display, external HDDs. It keeps my workspace free of unnecessary clutter. USB 3.1, Thunderbolt and USB4 docks offer this, and with the USB4 specs they are well on their way to take place of HDMI and DisplayPort while offering PD. The newest External Displays are evidence of this.

On the “Blame Anker” bit. You bet, I’ll blame them on poor execution with the 12-in-1. They admitted its their problem. They provided a solution that failed. They crapped the bed on this one, and their customer service tried but their techs hung them out to dry on this one. Thats not saying Anker is bad. I have other Anker products that work flawlessly with my Macbooks like the new 8-in-1 PD hub - it works great, (only reason I dont use that as my hub is that tiny tethered cable from the hub, rather than a longer cable to hide the other connections, so its only used at our secondary workspace). Their HDMI to USB C adapter, the USB 3 type A to type C and all the power cables are excellent.

I certainly have no concerns or reservations about buying Anker products in the future but I’m not going to place blame on Apple or other computer manufacturers when a company who sells accessories doesn’t work as advertised. If Apple sold me a computer with a defective connection, then I’d blame them.