Anker old Bolder LC40 vs. new LC40 Review

Well, I finally caved and got the newer edition of the LC40. I’ve been wanting one for a while, but I have the old LC40, which is still in fine condition. This review is a comparison of the two. To begin with, a picture of the new one:

It comes in the classic box, micro cable included.

Compared to the old version with a sharpie for scale:

The first things I noticed are:

1. The new one is a bit bigger. Whereas the old model was very skinny and compact, there’s a little more girth and length to the new one. It’s not a bad thing necessarily, but the space-conscious packer should be aware of the difference.

2. There is no wrist strap on the new one - not even a place to put one. I don’t use the wrist strap much, honestly, but again an item to be aware of when deciding between the two.

3. Brightness: The new one seems brighter than the old one to the unaided eye. This may be because the old one is AAA battery powered while the new one has a built in battery. So as the AAA disposable batteries wind down, the light gets dimmer. That does not appear to happen with the new LC40, with it’s built-in Anker battery tech.

4. Chargeability: The New one is rechargeable by micro-usb, and the old one takes AAA batteries. This I have solar panels and batteries, and when I’m camping for long periods of time I rely on the sun for power. While you could get a rechargeable pack for the old LC40, I like the built in version.

5. Modes: The new LC40 has more modes than the old one, including adjustable dimness and an SOS mode as well as a strobe.

Overall, both versions of this light are bright, durable, and packable. I would recommend them each for different situations.

For a primary light that gets a lot of use when camping, packing, or otherwise on-the-go: Get the newer LC40. With it’s easily rechargeable battery, better long-term brightness, and SOS mode, this is the torch for the light traveller with solar panels and/or battery packs.

For a light you leave in strategic places for occasional on-the-spot use (to stash in a car, the shed, etc): get the older bolder LC40 (this link is to the two-pack, which is the same price as a single new LC40). With it’s smaller profile and need for disposable batteries, this is a better choice for stashing in strategic places for occasional use.

11 Likes

Great review and considerations :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review!

Great comparison between the two. Thanks!
I have the original LC40 which I’ve found to be indispensable for work & home…it’s pretty much wherever I am.

Quick and to the point review. :slight_smile: Thank you for the comparison. I own the other 2 bigger flashlights and want to get an LC40 to add to my collection. I think I like the newer version better too, especially since it has a rechargeable battery. Your review definitely help me on deciding which to get. I like more of the rugged look of the newer model. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Thanks for the review. I own the original LC40, new LC40, the original LC90 and the LC130.

I agree with your horses for courses view. I am currently in day 12 of 14 of moving a lot. I have the original LC40 with me as I only need a few hours of flashlight and it is the smaller for my small backpack. This is me crossing field as light losing in rural England.

Bag for 2 weeks with all a man needs.

1 Like

Nice comparison between the two. I got the new one recently and I have been really enjoying it. I plan in posting a review soon, maybe today.

That’s an impressive amount of time for a bag that size! I’ve seen you mention it elsewhere in the forum, but I guess that what that volume looks like in the real world hadn’t hit me.

1 Like

Winter. Fleece is bulky. Half that size is my usual warmer weather bag.

I use two rules:

• if you didn’t use it don’t bring next time
    1. One on, one in the wash, one ready to wear.

Can not do this without Anker.

4 Likes

Great comparison review :clap:t2:

Great review @ryandhazen :slight_smile: thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

1 Like

if you didn’t use it don’t bring next time

1. One on, one in the wash, one ready to wear.

I like that - I’ll have to keep that in mind for my next hike.

Anker LC40, Slim+, 10000… and Guinness.

Dublin airport chillin

3 Likes

LC 40 (on left) and LC90 (on right) lighting up a hill several hundred yards away…