Anker has a new 12 Outlets, 3 USB Ports Surge Protector PowerPort Strip

I use it maybe once a year. The VCR works great but the old taped family videos are losing their quality. I may have to bite the bullet and take the time to transfer them to a storage drive. Just seems like the old videos are more enjoyable when you have to make the effort to watch them :dizzy_face:

This is so useful to have I hope they could do an UK version too!

Looks good. I have a 12 socket power strip from Belkin which I really like but it doesnā€™t have USB ports. If I didnā€™t already have a similar product, I would get this. Built-in home automation would be a great extra feature on this.

I just spent 11 days elapsed in the UK / Ireland electric system and overall I have to encounter the EU and the US / Canada systems.

The issue with the UK system is frankly a weird plug. It is huge. There is no 2 pin version only 3 pin, and imagine a 12 3 pin UK type extension cord ā€œgangā€. It would likely have to be physically twice the size.

The US plug in comparison is so tiny wee cute little thing I often carry USA electrical devices and plug just a UK adapter on the end to only interface 1 socket with the UK plug.

I actually prefer to travel with a USA 3-socket extension cord, USA Powerport and a single US-UK adapter as its more flexible and smaller than doing it the UK way. A USA 3-socket is a fraction of the size of a UK equivalent. I can upload photos of my international collection of electrics if you challenge me!

I think thatā€™s why out extension leads are limited to 4/6/8 sockets. Iā€™m sure Anker could make one for us. Iā€™ve seen other 4 port extensions with USB ports in Asda. They will sell all day long.

Iā€™ve got a couple of 8 gang surge protectors each comes with 3 USB ports and I love it. But yeah our plug size in UK would be a factor as it would be huge to have have 12+ sockets.

Now if there was a 8 gang with even more usb slots I would consider buying it.

Is that the name of a new gang? The 8 Gang Surge Protectors? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

2 Likes

@Nhi Yeah but they would get beat up by the 12 gang so they are hiding under desks :joy:

1 Like

Itā€™s great to have you back on the grid @nigelhealy

1 Like

Hopefully Anker makes a smart plug surge protector with individually controlled sockets some time soon. I have seen a few from other manufacturers on Amazon.

1 Like

That is the next logical step. Merge multiple sockets with Wifi smart Eufy control.

Along with smart built-in-wall dual types as its cleaner neater.

I own two Smart Plugs and one of them is further away from Wifi router and sometimes does not respond, so I think Wifi is the limiting factor.

3 Likes

You should pick 1 or 2 tp-link dual band repeaters they are relatively cheap and work very well. That will make your connection with your smart plugs rock-solid.

You could also repurpose an old router with dd-wrt software to act as a repeater.

If you need a router extender I have a few similar to the one @jesse_hernandez1 posted. I can send it to you if you would like

2 Likes

Already have put DD-WRT on an old router and followed the repeater HOWTO. It helps but not perfectly.

1 Like

I live in ā€œsilicon valleyā€ the issue is plain noise from every house having Wifi, the lots of land are not square which causes houses to be longer in one axis so youā€™re forced to have a noisy Wifi part of the house.

There are only so many Wifi channels, is part of the problem.

In reality the Eufy implementation works well enough, I program the smart plugs to turn on/off at pre-determined times and that works, it is the use of when I want to communicate realtime with the plug is where Wifi enters the problem.

Thanks for the offer. I am sharing the real world issues with smartplugs

Tell me about it I live in San Mateo in an apartment complex seems every unit has WiFi now a days 5mhz is just as bad. Thatā€™s why I found it necessary to use repeaters to keep to signal strong. Directional can-tannas also work well and can be a fun learning experience for those of you with little ones.

1 Like

At least some people know that it is better to on the frequency instead of effecting other channel.

Not really, the way Wifi works now is it spreads out and aggregates across multiple frequencies, what you see is the central frequency. If you do manually change to appear to ā€œhelpā€ you are actually making the congestion worse.

Oh, and that commercial at the bottom of the screenā€¦ unlock, root, xposed, minminguard

Odd that Eufy does not merge powerline with smart plug so it uses the electrical cables with sending messages. Next innovation?