Anker Audio: Water Way to Have a Good Time

Generally speaking, water and electricity don’t mix.

However, relationships between H2O and technology are evolving as more of our favourite items (think smartphones, smartwatches, action cameras…) become increasingly water-capable. No stranger to innovation, Anker has also dipped its toes into the pool with new water-friendly audio equipment.

Let’s investigate further…

Ingress Protection

One of the first key pieces of information to consider with water and tech is Ingress Protection, commonly abbreviated to IP. Established by the International Electrotechnical Commission, IP is a universal standard whereby electrical products are tested for their water-resistance, or lack thereof.

IP ratings start from IPX0 (don’t even think about it…) and go up to IPX8 (yes please, lots…). These tests involve soaking devices with calculated amounts of water, from a calculated distance, at a calculated pressure, for a calculated period of time. Calculated. From devices’ performance we can then ascertain an IP number.

In some cases, X will be replaced with another digit - this refers to dustproofing. Dustproofing goes up to 6 on the scale, therefore IP68 is Bear Grylls of the dust /water arena. Sounds messy.

Water-Resistant vs. Waterproof

The second major distinction is between water-resistant and waterproof. Although open to debate, water-resistant implies that an item can handle a degree of moisture (e.g. rain), but usually isn’t designed specifically for use in aquatic environments.

Waterproof on the other hand tends to imply an item can be submerged in water and perform its job admirably, these products are usually designed for use in or around water. Most consumer tech items categorize into the former - your phone and camera can probably survive a soaking in a pocket, but don’t go throwing them into a canal (especially if you’ve not had your vaccinations).

For the most part, industry distinction between water-resistant and waterproof occurs on the border of IPX6 and IPX7, when a product transitions from being able to sustain running water, to withstand full immersion.

Music, music everywhere

Music is becoming evermore present in our lives thanks to technological advances. Nielsen reports that Americans consume 25 hours of music a week, from queueing in the supermarket to driving to work.

Listening to our favourite devices underwater remains a long way off, not least because we hear sound differently in air and underwater. Instead, waterproof tech is seen by many as a form of guarantee for those expensive electrical items that we invest heavily in and is a welcome safety-net for many users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D51m1KMODRA

Anker SoundBuds Sport NB10
The Water-Resistant Secure-Fit Sport Earbuds.

Anker has recently released the showcase Bluetooth 4.1 earbuds, SoundBuds Sport NB10. The NB10s feature an IPX5 water-resistant shell and internal nano-coating, providing a double layer of water protection.

As well as adrenaline junkies, NB10s are ideal for owners of the iPhone 7.
Apple’s decision to remove the headphone jack will inevitably see iPhone owners, and music fans in general migrating towards wireless earbuds.

At IPX5, the NB10s are at a very respectable water-resistant standard, and will laugh off anything you throw at them during normal usage - be it sweat from a hard workout, or lashings of rain from that jog in the thunderstorm. Anything short of taking them for a dip in the pool, or a few cycles in the washing machine and you’ll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSR7flIIeqQ

Anker SoundCore Sport XL
The Tough Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker with Impressive Volume.

Perhaps Anker HQ’s favourite speaker right now is the brand new SoundCore Sport XL, which has been labelled ‘a perfect beach speaker’ and ‘the ideal pool companion’ due to its portability and dustproof, shockproof, waterproof performance. The speaker is optimized for the outdoors; built to withstand punishment… and sounds great while doing it.

The speaker is officially waterproof (IP67), which under IP categorisation means it can withstand submersion in up to 1m of water for up to 30 minutes.

We turned to some of our Top Tech Bods to find out how they accomplish waterproofing while maintaining high-quality audio...
 Us: Waterproof Speakers, eh? Whatever’s next, chocolate teapots? 

Top Tech Bod: We make the SoundCore Sport XL waterproof using a plethora of innovative techniques. First of all we create physical barriers for the water like sealing covers and double-injection molding. Some of the internal components themselves are also waterproof. 

Us: It seems as though there are more products coming out these days which can handle water. What does the future hold for waterproof tech?

Top Tech Bod: There’s a lot of innovation going on right now for sure; for example nanometer spray, micrometer spray and new waterproof components. More complex products than ever are being released with water capabilities. I think there are exciting times ahead.

With an increasing number of water-friendly technology products emerging - from the Samsung Galaxy S7 to the Fitbit, the tech industry is clearly leaning towards more and more water-resistant and waterproof equipment. Whether this is a fad or a new gold-standard remains to be seen, but current innovation is certainly impressive and holds interesting potential.

What Anker products would you like to see given the water-resistant/waterproof treatment?
What tech products do you think still need to be adapted to the rigour of our daily lives?

Let us know below…

29 Likes

I’m glad to see the trend towards water resistant and waterproof devices. I’ve lost far too many gadgets because they were accidentally dropped in a pool or drenched in a spilled beverage. It’s also great to be able to snap pictures and to have your favorite tunes with you while swimming or kayaking!

2 Likes

If I could get my hands on waterproof heaphones I’d be a happy camper. I have the water resistant SoundBuds and they’re awesome. But if I could go under water with these bad-boys my life would be complete. Haha.

1 Like

Are the sportbuds waterproof or water resistant?

I might try one of the small speakers. Seems like they could be handy

1 Like

@bill_rae, the SoundBuds are only rated as “splash-proof” so you may not want to submerge them in water. Water kills the Bluetooth signal, so your music would probably get interrupted underwater anyways.

3 Likes

I admire the efforts towards water-resistant and waterproof tech products. I think the trend is here to stay. I’m all in on the concept of making future consumer electronics waterproof or at least water resistant. It’s inevitable to keep your gadgets away from some form of water contact at all times. I would like to see waterproof battery pack and soundbuds from Anker in the coming months!

2 Likes

This would be perfect for work, I work in a market so touching a speaker for volume or to change a song gets messy.

With water proof I can just rinse it in the sanitizer at work before I pack it up.

2 Likes

I just lost a good pair of bluetooth earphones to sweat. I will be replacing them with these Anker SoundBuds now

3 Likes

For sure waterproof headphones that have quality sound and are feature rich. People go out in the rain, during workouts, and more, but don’t want to sacrifice on the quality or features.

2 Likes

I think the next breakthrough would be truly water proof wireless ear buds. The tech seems to be hurling into that direction.

2 Likes

Waterproof technology seems to be becoming a popular thing. I have water resistance wireless earbuds, and they work great. As long as I don’t submerge them, they are fine, even in heavy rain. I can’t wait for other things as completely waterproof wireless earbuds just in case anything happens and it falls into water.

2 Likes

I love the move towards water resistant and water proof electronics. It’s great to be axle to have true mobility with your products and not have to worry about damaging them by venturing out in to the world.

2 Likes

First of all this is a well written article and informative. We need to discuss more on the type of water and temperatures that are used during the certification of IPX. As far as I have researched and tested, we shouldn’t be using water resistant or water proof devices in salt water (beaches) and in high temperature water (hot tubs). Also, we need to use caution when using devices (movement of device) under water (when swimming underwater or diving)

2 Likes

Powebanks! If the PowerCore family became waterproof/resistant it would be the only powebank of its type.
Many powebanks sit in day bags that unfortunately share space with drinks for the lake, the beach, the forest or even something as simple as hiking.
Once these containers flip over it’s pretty much dousing the poor PowerCore. It would also be beneficial for those who forget that the ocean or lake doesn’t mix with electronics as many people leave stuff near a body of water or have their items splashed by accident.

2 Likes

Having the freedom to take your portable gadgets anywhere, in any weather, is amazingly freeing. It truly realizes this future that we find ourselves in: doing anything, anywhere. My Soundcore Sport is one of my favorite devices that’s always in my bag. Or hanging off my bike. Or in the bottom of my kayak. Literally anywhere I am, it can be as well.

2 Likes

Really diggin’ the NB10 SoundBuds I got on review. They always get daily use whether in the gym or just reading a book on the iPad at home for some chill out music.

2 Likes

This technology is great. Waterproofing/water resisting seems to be the way of the future.
Especially with speakers, phones, and other commonly used electronics. I am really excited to see what Anker does with all of this tech

2 Likes

I want everything to be water proof.

2 Likes

What really needs waterproofing is the selfie stick. Most people use those when they go on vacation and adventures , therefore I feel it’s important that all ports and buttons be covered. At the very least, it needs to be water resistant so it can handle a splash or two.

3 Likes

This is literally the highlight of how far technology has came, I’m glad that you’re leading the way with your new and innovative products :wink: :blush: !

2 Likes