An interesting use for a projector!

Lol my bad, thought English was your 2nd language. Again, no disrespect man :+1:

1 Like

Props has been around for a while. Maybe @Anjou1888 is a tad bit on the younger side!

1 Like

I’m going to be completely honest. It does kind of hurt that people think English is my second language…

1 Like

Interesting… is it used in the USA? I’ve literally never heard that before…

1 Like

Absolutely used a ton! It’s more street than you would think! Props to you @Anjou1888 for learning a new word today!

3 Likes

Reason I asked was because I remember someone commenting on a different thread that English wasn’t your first language, that’s why I asked. I apologize if I offended you in any way

1 Like

Not really sure why Elmo said that. Something makes me think it was just to insult me. No offense taken (from you)

1 Like

Haha thanks lol. Maybe it’s just not used in the south :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Whoa now, I never said English wasn’t your native language so please do not out words in my mouth.

1 Like

So your friend directly painting on the wall, right?
He is the artist!

2 Likes

Discussion about the “art of language” now.

3 Likes

You see, that is what I liked about being in this community. Pure Technical discussions along with some general topics. Like meats & potatoes with some spice :yum:

2 Likes

So I am always careful about phrases.
For a non native speaker it could be leading to “hara-kiri” :wink:

Even native speakers from the same country might have different interpretations of an expression.
We were discussing this in another thread.
You remember the “knuckleheads” :joy:

2 Likes

Yes! He projected his drawing on the wall to trace it and now is painting.

I’m already looking into options to do the same in my son’s bedroom walls, something fun and instructive but not overwhelming. :slight_smile:

Regarding different use of portuguese phrases in Portugal and/or Brasil as well. Funny!
When I was in Brasil (30 years ago) all asked me what kind of “antique Portuguese” I speak.
When I told them this “Portuguese from Portugal” they laughed a lot, and they understand. Si senhor, claro!

Here we have really two different lines of courses in adult education center : Portuguese for Portugal and Portuguese for Brasil.

eg. Percebes ou comprendes ou entendes? Like this… :joy:

1 Like

It’s different enough for two language teachers I had to say at different times that it grants Brazilian Portuguese its own language name. There are verbs used in different ways, different spelling of many words, the use of personal pronouns is different, and the very syntax changes from one to the other. You can study English in the US, Canada, UK and, once you get over a few regionalisms and accents, it’s the same language. The same for French learned in France or Quebec. But if you learned Portuguese in Portugal you might not understand books written by Brazilians - there are actually “translations” when a book is published in the other country…

2 Likes

Well I just realized your name is like the football player from Brazil, AC Milan & PSG :grin:

2 Likes

I get that a lot! :grin: Funny story: my name is spelt in the simplest possible way for Brazilian standards - no “h” on Tiago and just one “t” on Mota - but since Brazilians love to unnecessarily complicate name spelling - they believe it gives a more elevated status or something - I always have to specify the “no ‘h’ just one ‘t’” whenever I say my name to someone who must take notes. The football player obviously does not help me in this.

Other funny story: despite being Brazilian, my football abilities are next to none, I don’t even like the sport…

2 Likes

I know this Tiago,
there was a discussion about languages, idioms at another thread.
I am sure there are differences using phrases or words from region to region in the same country all speaking the same language.
I know this from Germany a small country.
So in bigger ones it must be the same.

Regarding Portuguese.
There are not many strangers speaking this language.
So you might imagine what a joy it is for the inhabitants there
to find “um estangeiro que fala muito bem” :joy:

1 Like