About standards and stubbornness

A quick look through my posts here will let you know that I’m an Apple user. I’ve had an iPhone since the iPhone 5 - though not every iteration - and a MacBook Air since 2012. I also have an iPad and an AppleTV. I love the way Apple devices talk with each other, and the way they are easy to use and safe. Apple is big enough to push some standards into action, like the microSIMs, but it’s also big enough to commit to some fairly obtrusive and annoying standards.

Case in point, I found someone who share my view in this 9to5 Mac’s article.

There’s nothing ultimately wrong with the Lightning cables, except for the fact that they are Apple-exclusive. It’s one of the many examples of Apple’s walled garden, which has its pros and cons. I do believe Apple should retain some control over its devices - it’s the main reason they are generally safer than other systems - but there are many places where Apple would do better if they just opened up. Adopting USB-C for its mobile devices is but one of them.

Apple Watch leads the smartwatch market share by a long margin, and they are iPhone-users exclusive. It makes no sense, from a marketing point of view, to keep it that way. Unless I’m very wrong, there could be several security measures in place that would allow Apple Watches to work with other phones.

And the HomePod. Such a wasted potential. Every review I read can be resumed in two sentences: it has the best sound in the category, but don’t bother buying if you don’t live in the Apple ecosystem. Even if you live in the Apple ecosystem, it’s still a pricey addition for the little extra functionality it adds to your life. If they only allowed Bluetooth connection to whatever source, the HomePods would instantly become more attractive.

We have a thread here in our Community about the lack of reliable third-party USB-C to Lightning cables, and the only reason for this is that Apple delayed the release of the certificates. Meanwhile, Anker has great USB-C cables already - side note: my GoPro’s USB-C cable cabe defective, it would charge the camera but wouldn’t sync with the PC; an Anker USB-C cable did the trick.

I know, nobody likes switching standards. We are still in the middle of the transition from the old USB plug to USB-C. There will be another years until we abandon completely USB-A and MicroUSB plugs. But, from time to time, it’s a necessary evil. What’s unnecessary is one manufacturer, even if it’s one big enough to create demand for its proprietary standard, to stick to it just because. We all frowned upon changing from VHS to DVDs to Blu-Ray, but it was all for the better, right?

It takes time to reach a standard, but shouldn’t manufacturer be thinking about the customers first? I would like to buy smart lightning and have it work with the hub I already have, using the app I already use.

I’m an Apple user, but only because its products check all the boxes I want. I’m by no means an Apple fan - those who won’t admit the flaws. I list pros and cons of both iOS and Android whenever someone asks me about switching phones. I tell people how much I love my AppleTV, and how I can only enjoy it at the level I do because I’m into the Apple ecosystem, and that there are other boxes out there with great features as well. I do believe in peace between users and systems. But I am annoyed by Apple stubbornness to keep its own standards.

Do you have any peeves with standards, of the lack thereof, in your technological life? Which walled gardens you live in? Because, remember, Amazon’s and Google’s, even if broader, are also walled, right?

5 Likes

My post Here about the home pod is all so frustrating, that’s my pet peeve with apple…their darn locked down ecosystem

Reading your post I thought of another annoyance: accounts. That’s not exclusive an Apple issue, though. To use Apple products, you need an Apple account. To use Alexa, an Amazon one. And Google. And Microsoft, Nintendo, PlayStation. You need an account to fly a drone, to watch movies, to listen to music, for each online retailer you shop from.

I don’t even know how many accounts I have… At one point in the past I registered accounts for almost every new fad showing up just so I could reserve my username, even if I never actually used most services.

1 Like

Omg, yes I never thought about it but I too have done the same. So many accounts are annoying, but needed if we want our user name to always be ours.

I think you all know how I feel about Apple already. I use Keeper to keep track of my accounts and passwords it works great and will auto generate passwords up to 51 characters.

@tiagomota @elmo41683

3 Likes

Great video from MKBHD on this topic, as well!

2 Likes

The ecosystem is a powerful thing. I have been using Android primarily for the last 3 years, but lately, I have been missing the ecosystem along with iMessage, AirDrop and other things that are exclusive to the Apple experience. I am planning to make the switch back, but with all of the positive things doing that will bring, there are a host of negatives as well.

1 Like

Some games not having full cross-play support. Having to create a extra account just to play a game

1 Like

I play CSR2 racing game, and they do not allow you to cross play your game account. It’s one or the other and not both. Made me mad because when my phone crapped out, all I had was my wife’s iPad to play on. And i couldn’t, support even said one or the other account…but luckily now they can transfer your account from one ecosystem to the other

1 Like

So, walled gardens everywhere, right? Why can’t we all just play nice with each other?

I don’t own a videogame, but I recall the time the last PlayStation was released - most of my friends own one. They all said you end either end up buying the system your friends got because you want to play with them, or you end up buying more than one system. Is there a good enough explanation to why can’t people on different systems play online together the same game?

I love apple products too but can’t afford to buy them all lol.

I love the compatibility with each other and for seeing all of your context on all devices etc. Apple Music is amazing and the kids love having all them tunes in their phones despite using about 5 albums each lol

As for standards, I’m not afraid of things changing but it does come at a cost. I’ve got a couple of chargers with built in cables and these would become obsolete and require me to spend but if it’s for the greater good of the device and the user, I’m all for it. Be great if there was just one standard but it will never happen. Just like there are many different light bulbs or wall sockets and even car fuels. It will never happen.

1 Like

Using LINUX I need NOTHING!
Just a some skills. :smiley:

My daughter has to use Windoofs (sic).
The MS Word will not start.
Some “trouble” is announced.
What to do? Repair! Ridiculous.
After starting such a repair it runs in an endless loop.
That’s MS and their victims.
NEVER TOUCH!

Regarding Apple.
I would like to use my old IPAD with a newer version of MAC-OS.
Not possible.
The only thing Apple is great is the intention selling you their new stuff.

1 Like

Agree with that.
They just keep adding stuff that’s not compatible with the older generations. I’ve got an iPad 2, only 6 years old and basically useless now.

1 Like

Mine is elder!
The hardware is working fine.
So I keep those Apps which are installed.
The SAFARI is a disaster, but what shall I do? :sob:

That’s the planned obsolescence standard. Apple get a lot of heat, but they are hardly the only ones to do that, or the worst ones. Almost every inkjet printer you can buy comes programmed to stop working after a determined number of prints, regardless of the state of its components and the amount of ink, and that’s just one example. I recommend watching this documentary: https://youtu.be/zdh7_PA8GZU

2 Likes

Obsolescence is everywhere.
Funny indeed that a “sly fox” found out how to reset that counter of these printers. I don’t remember if it was HP or EPSON.
And don’t forget those glued batteries in the first IPODS and IPHONES.
That’s Apple! And I don’t think they are more custom friendly today.
So I avoid this company!

I use to reset my inkjet counter so it continues to work. But now I use aHP wireless printer and that thing also stopped working after so many uses…but a quick reset and I’m golden for another 25 thousand or so prints

2 Likes

I see a lot of class action law suits in the near future for companies that do this and people become more aware and frustrated.

1 Like