A car mount that suits your needs

Ready, steady, go!

Think about when you get into your car. Everything’s ready for you to set off, and you want your phone to be handy (and I don’t just mean to give you directions but also to help you sneak preview callers names or to ensure the right podcast is playing, whilst you drive safely).

Have you ever felt frustrated because you forgot (again!) to buy a car mount and your phone keeps flying around with any turn you do? Or, perhaps, because your car mount was not meant for your specific device or you have multiple devices and the “universal” car mount is…well…too universal to the point that no phone fits in?

I’ve been there before and experienced both scenarios. Neither is nice.

So keep reading this review and, as a bonus, I’ll tell you a secret later. If at this point, you’re thinking about stop reading because you don’t own a car, my suggestion is that you continue because there might be something useful in my secret for you too.

A car mount that suits your needs

Anker's universal car mount is made of 2 main parts: A magnetic base where a metallic ball attaches to, and a magnetic plate that sticks onto your phone (or phone case). Let the magnets play their magic and the plate on the phone is attracted to the base, keeping it stable and secure during your journey.

The metallic sphere works wonders in keeping the phone steady but also in making it really easy to adjust with one hand until the phone gets to the perfect position. I’ve used air vent car mounts before. The advantage of this model is that the 3M adhesives can be placed on any flat surface where it feels more confortable for you, which ultimately leads to a better and safer drive.

And worry not. The car mount is steady but small enough for not attracting undesirable looks while the car is parked.

Conclusion (and my secret revealed)

This is a compact and truely universal car mount that you cannot go wrong with (provided your devices have the dimensions suggested by Anker). At first I wasn’t sure about the magnetic plate system, especially because of how it looks on my phone. However, I’ve found out that it works just great if it gets stuck in the inside of the phone’s cover.

Also, because it comes with a couple of magnetic plates it can be used with multiple devices. And the 3M adhesives make it easy to remove the base from the car so it can be used elsewhere.

And now on to my secret: I don’t own a car at the moment but I’ve recently rented one and used this car mount for a long trip. The car mount comes with a couple of stickers so it was not an issue to use it and remove it from the rented car. But, am I going to throw the car mount away or leave it to gain dust because I don’t have my own car? Not at all! This works great on your desk too. And, because Anker provides additional stickers and pads, I can always bring it with me for some more trips!…

Read more on the DigitallySpeakingLab

7 Likes

A bonus photo so you can see the 2 main parts of this car mount :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well written review! And the use of a mount on a work desk. Genius. :smile:

3 Likes

What phone were you using?

2 Likes

Thanks for answering some of the questions I had about this item thru your review. When you mention adding the magnet into the inside of your case, does it create any lift/gap? I had wondered if putting it inside would work at all because I don’t want to accidentally snag that plate off while taking the phone in and out of my pocket. But now, I’m curios as to see how much of a lift/gap it creates by putting it inside the case vs outside. I really like the nice clean look of the mount. Good job on the review :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

Tested with different iPhone models (5SE, 6 & 7). Pretty sure it works well with the ‘plus’ versions too. Also tested with an old samsung galaxy.

Bottom line is that the magnet works really well so the phone model shouldn’t be an issue

Thanks!!

I tend to use silicone (gel) cases and didn’t find any issue with having it inside the cover. Same result when I tried using a harder case that I have for tests (not my everyday cover).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I, too like to use silicone gel cases because I like it’s slimmer form. I’ll have to pick up 2 of these car mounts… one for me and one for the hubby. And the great thing about it is that we’ll have a mount for each car so no matter who drives that car, it can be used. Thanks again for the review and reply. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good review! It’s my first time to read car mount review in the community, it’s really interesting and insightful!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Awesome product! I’ll have to add one more to my shopping list:smirk:

1 Like

Great review, I have been using these in both my car and truck for about two years now and both mine and my wife’s phone have the plate inside the cover. We use it for navigation. We have never had one fall off yet and we hit some big bumps. Mine is not Anker as they only offered the vent ones in my country but it looks identical to the one you show in the photo. I am hoping by the time that I upgrade my phone that Anker will have made one with wireless charging so I can keep my hands on the wheel when I forget to plug in my phone and start driving.

2 Likes

Thanks!! Glad you’ve enjoyed it.

Thanks. Like the adding a charger idea :grinning:

Thanks!! Glad you’ve enjoyed it

well written @AndreC !!

1 Like

Whats the name of the product, I did read the review but guess missed the name of the product.Universal car mount is it??

1 Like

Hanging out in Anker forum every day to get bucks for free products

However,

just cannot stop the urge of buying more stuff that was not in my plan :cry:

2 Likes

It is indeed. Can send you the model number if it helps :slight_smile: