21w PowerPort Solar on sale $45

I have two of these panels, and I absolutely love them. Here is my video review (one slight note - they charge a lot faster than 1% every 5 minutes - you just have to let the lanel sit in the sun for a minute first):

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B012YUJJM8/ref=gbps_img_s-4_c182_8cb876f0?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&pf_rd_p=ced83fbf-8fc4-4cbf-ae01-e1416bf7c182&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=SEC6KN1KGPJVD6NJTZR7

5 Likes

great review, thanks! i’ve been flip-flopping over the idea of a portable solar charger for a while now. maybe it’s time.

I love my 20Watt, Dual Port USB Solar panel! The best use is obviously outdoors late morning to late afternoon in direct sunlight. I’ve even used it on the dash of my car on road trips with some success. For this price point this is a good buy and hopefully I can pick one up at this price still. Just FYI, it’s best to charge your external battery from a solar charger. Charging a phone directly from these panels is “technically” possible, but unless you are in full-direct sunlight these kinds of panels won’t create the steady voltage to efficiently charge your phone while on, but when all your batteries die, and this your only chance of getting a charge on your phone…you’ll be glad you have one.

Trying to charge this in a car is next to impossible because the glass in cars block uv rays.

Says 100% claimed on the lightning deal

I’m trying to imagine a use case for this for me. I might would use this when I go camping, but I only go once a year and even then, while we’re gone, I always have access to electricity :stuck_out_tongue:

21W outside will give 10W, under glass half that 5W. 5W is still useful for trickle charge.

The lower end smaller solar panels, less than this 21W panel, are, yes, useless in a car.

1 Like

I’ve metered this panel behind glass and in front of glass. Definitely about 50% loss of efficiency when glass is involved. no fault of the solar panel, of course, just the physics of glass and light interacting. Here’s the metering pics, etc:

1 Like

nice review

correct. Energy of light is proportional to the frequency, so UV is more energetic than say red or blue. and there is a lower cut off no matter how bright of what color will generate electricity. This effect prompted Albert Einstein to create quantum theory.

Higher frequency light interacts more with denser materials so the atmosphere and glass both disproportionately block the more energetic light. That helps protect life on Earth from the more damaging radiation which can “cook” your cells and DNA. Part of the reason life began in the oceans was the sea above the life was protected before our modern atmosphere built its own defences, then life could venture onto land.

You can overcome by just a larger solar panel.

1 Like

Too bad their is not a solar solution that will afix to the exterior of a car with a wire or something coming in… I’d still say that it’s better to charge your portable battery using the solar panel then to use it directly with your phone or tablet.

You might be onto something there. Solar roof rack?

Solar roof rack for hybrid cars?