2019 The year of the foldable phone wars?

2 Likes

Who would get Samsung’s version???

As mentioned tho, Samsungs version isnt finalized and they showcased it hidden behind a case to protect it from copycats. Either way I’m looking forward to Samsungs version

I think one of the Saints pulled that out from under the goalpost last Sunday…

1 Like

I first saw thw flexy OLEd screens from Samsung several years ago at InfoComm. They are cool, but it really takes good design and a real value in everyday use to make something like that go. think of google Glass… it worked, but socially we weren’t ready to use it yet. I would wager this has similar problems until there is a clear benefit to having a folding phone. People are really used to the current phablet design.

Yeah… No.

Ouch…imagine what Apple’s variation will cost then with there already ‘premium level prices’ :grin:

Agreed… $1700 is a little much just to fold a phone! :joy:

Well considering the tech and being the first to pull off a decent folder…it’s gonna cost. But as each variant comes out it will get cheaper

Given how Samsung prices are slowly creeping up towards Apple prices id reckon Apple would charge about £2100 for the same equivalent.

Apple, ever the leading edge innovator has a new folding device

:laughing:

“folds like a piece of paper… tin foil wrapped around mashed potatoes… without much thought…”

1 Like

Lol watched this afternoon…nearly spit my coffee with the folds like a piece of paper…you would think with past bend-gate sagas they would have made it a touch more resilient…considering the cost :moneybag:

Well if they had made it of paper it would be then be still useful to soak up your spill.

Those “in” UK there’s some hands-on at the start of

These folable phones are gimmicks, very expensive ones too. I don’t see me owning something like this for a very long but you never know. Times change and we must follow

So I have learned to be open minded. I was into smartphones before many others (Nokia 9000i, Treo 650, Windows) and then got out of them to spend a decade or so “off grid”, then I decided to buy a house and so the “killer app” was mapping, navigation and emailing while moving around. Then had smartphones again for years.

Currently I’m tending to go minimalist more with just a smartwatch.

The point is we change, our needs change, it is not just technology changing. Chances are the phone in your hand now, at some point in your past you’d have said the same as “I have no need for a smartphone, expensive, all I do is talk and text”. I also remember the move from analogue to digital phones and the “I don’t need digital, all i do is talk”, and before that “what’s wrong with walking to the end of the street when you can put 2p in the callbox”, before that was “why do you need phones, we can write letters!”.

We all do need innovators and either the rich or the gullible to be buy the expensive stuff, help fund, shake out bugs and the cost drops, some benefits appear we not thought of.

Today’s “don’t need a folding phone”… 30 years ago it was “stamps taste horrible when you lick them”.

1 Like

More real products out now.

The concern with reliability is top of mind.

2020 or 2021?