2018 and why USB-C is still a mess

I also do not understand. There is a USB C powerline on the Powerdraw right now…

You telling me that’s wholesale?

I say be a leader in the USB-C market. Make quality Type C cables and be THE brand for it.

When it finally becomes the “standard”, you would have already grabbed the market. There are plenty of Samsung Galaxy, LG, Google, One Plus phones in the market that utilize this connection.

5 Likes

I believe this is the right attitude about the situation, but unfortunately, Anker seems to be taking the opposite approach. :cry:

3 Likes

I agree while heartedly, sadly It seems Anker only cares about the Apple crowd and nothing else

2 Likes

How many times have I got to tell you guys.

Apple Rules :ok_hand: :wink:

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem like that to me. I believe the decision lies elsewhere, maybe on the cost of licensing USB-C everywhere or even an overstock of Micro-USB connectors they have to use.

I do believe the transition should be faster. As I said, I’m a great supporter of the “pull off the Band-Aid” method. That said, I don’t buy tech all the time, and the only device I have with an USB-C connection is a GoPro Hero5 Session - and I bought an Anker USB-C cable for it.

Do I believe USB-C should be mandatory in new products? Yes, absolutely. Do I believe it’s a dealbreaker if it doesn’t? It depends. It’s not like we are transmitting large amounts of data and energy to our speakers, for instance. But a new projector? That one should have USB-C from the start.

4 Likes

This is my thinking also (as mentioned earlier in the thread), us as ‘consumers’ only see the ‘there’s demand, so where is it, your being too slow’ whereas Anker behind the scenes also have the ‘market demand vs licensing vs manufacturing vs possible end profit’ to factor into consideration…no doubt it will get there eventually but not at the overall speed everyone clambers for…

6 Likes

Perhaps by the time USB-C gets a firm grasp, a new format will likely be introduced, thus starting the adoption cycle all over again. USB-C isn’t the end-all format as there’s always something new around the corner; likely smaller, likely faster, likely better.

1 Like

Yeah, I heard it was expensive to make these cables. A lot more devices are coming out with USB type C ports and it is very irritating because I have to buy adapters for them.

I know what you mean. I don’t need to buy USB-C cables for my Anker Soundcore products. Right now, I only need to buy USB Type-A Anker products because I recharge my Anker Micro-B products.

1 Like

If I am travelling and have a mix of Micro-B and C devices I carry a B to C adapter, and yes they fall off and get lost. To carry two cables is heavier and larger.

Example coming up next days is I have my OnePlus6, they have been using type C for 2 year, I am traveling for about 16 hours, so I will be with a Anker Powerport II 6700, Anker Soundbuds Life, OnePlus 6. The Life will not last 16 hours so at the times during the trip I don’t need the buds I will plug into the Powercore, otherwise I will keep the phone plugged into Powercore. Which cable do I need. If Anker’s Soundbuds were type C i’d need one cable a non-reversible (by end) a A to C cable. If Anker’s Powercore was type C I’d need one cable, a C to C fully reversible cable. If Anker’s Poweport were type C I’d be able to use that one cable to recharge Powercore.

Anker’s current decisions are forcing me to carry more cables and dongles.

2 Likes

Mmm, am I missing something, but why not simply use one of those tiny micro to C adaptor plugs?

They fall off. You lose them.

Some indeed fall off when you even look at them. Others fit securely.
Some are connected to the cable with a short wire or similar.

The main advantage for a plug is that it’s 2-in-1 and saves be taking extra cable with me.
But… situations differ.