[New Release] PowerPort PD Nano

Honestly doesn’t make sense that it’s more expensive then III nano… is it smaller?

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a Best Buy OEM custom version?

2 Likes

No, I think it’s the same size.

1 Like

I will eventually get this charger but I’m in no rush right now

2 Likes

But then why get the ‘rip off best buy’ version instead of the one on amazon? Like unless you’re buddies with the bestbuy guy and are getting some kind of mega discount which compensates for the price differential? Or somehow you don’t want to buy it on amazon so … like you drive to bestbuy to get it?

3 Likes

The PowerPort PD Nano is USB-IF certified. Meaning it meets all USB-C and Power Delivery specifications set out by the USB Implementers Forum.

The PowerPort III Nano is not certified. And would not pass certification, as the inclusion of Anker’s PowerIQ 3.0 tech is against USB-C specs.

That certification is worth a few dollars to some customers. But I doubt that’s the cause of the higher price. Anker doesn’t mention USB-IF certification on their product listings.

This wouldn’t be Anker’s first store exclusive model. The PowerCore Speed 20000 PD unbundled is only available at Walmart. And the PowerCore+ 10000 Pro and PowerCore Fusion PD are Apple store exclusives.

4 Likes

Such a dinky little block.

1 Like

I have the PowerPort III Nano and I almost never use it. Its not very useful. I took it on a trip and still had to carry another charger so I could charge my micro-USB accessories (and that charger had a PD port and a Micro-USB port). Even when all my new devices are USB-C I will need at least a 2 port PD charger.

For now this isn’t a bad option for the user who has one or two items that use PD but if the certifications mattered, then this a good option, but for those that it doesn’t matter, I think the PowerPort III Nano is a better deal.

2 Likes

Of course its small and nice.
BUT I will never use such one.
On vacations and at home I got my
AnkerPowerPort speed 5
thats really all we need!

3 Likes

I prefer the PowerPort Speed 5 ports with shorty cables when I travel. I have one setup in the living room. My wife uses to charge her phone and headphones, and use a couple of the ports for my stuff as well.

4 Likes

Thats the family charger.
From time to time the family has a meeting there at the charger! :joy:

4 Likes

Primarily for the reason of USB-IF certification…

3 Likes

Yup. I agree I prefer to use the 5 port with pd in my bedroom and the speed 5 in our front office for when my wife, my son and myself are all in there streaming or watching movies

1 Like

That seems like the same thing as putting an ADT sticker on your door for ‘security’

2 Likes

Hello from UK. Also won’t use it as this is US specific. The US non-polarized 2 pin socket which can be folded makes small chargers viable, but only if folding pins. If not folding pins then why bother?

I also would not use if it they made a UK version as you’re carrying all that bulk and get just one port.

Waiting for a UK Duo two 18W version but for now my carried charger is 18W PD + 10 A, with a C cable and the Powerline 3-1 for all devices, with my Powercore 10000 PD it is as close to a perfect system I can get currently.

2 Likes

Folding pins likely would increase the size of the device. its kinda hard to push out 18w without squeezing in every ounce of stuff into that small enclosure without it imploding on you.

2 Likes

Folding pins reduce the size as the pins are… folded. Total weight increases but I don’t see a downside of folding pins anything you’d intend to carry in a bag/pocket.

2 Likes

Folding pins have to “go” somewhere

If you want them to go inside the enclosure, then again that’s space that needs to exist for the pins to fold into, which is space that isn’t used for everything else you need to barely get 18W transformer and all the safety circuitry without the thing imploding on you

Look at where the folding pins go and the dimensions. They literally take up 50% of the space just to accommodate the folding pins into the enclosure . That is functionally dead space for the transformer/fuses etc.

Just like your cellphone has literally zero space for anything extra there no place for folding pins

2 Likes

This was my thought. You’re not really shrinking the size, it’s just where you put that space…

Lol have you every worked on cell phones? They have loads of extra space…

1 Like

Folding pins adds weight for sure, makes the unfolded size larger but makes the folded size smaller.

If you’re going for smaller then it most beneficial to carrying so folded is best.